Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone has tuned it a whole step down and how it turned out. f# to e. ive heard all sorts of wierd tunings for it but havent heard anyone talk about tuning it a whole step down.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Mushuggah's normal tuning for their eights is F (half step down on all strings), but I remember them having a few songs where the lowest string was E.

I personally wouldn't recommend it. :lol: But you could give it a try if you want.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It all depends on your tolerance for the flop. I had my 8 briefly tuned to double-drop E... EAEADGBE, and it sounded pretty monstrous.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yeah scale length will play a big role here in your success. I have mine down a half step, "F standard", and it's fine. I have 27.5" scale length and an 0.080" string on the low F (going to drop it to a 74 for some extra brightness). I think going to E or Eb is more ideal with an Agile scale (28.625") or longer.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
My lowest string is an Eb. I'm still working on getting it functioning ideally, but it works all right. Just make sure you've got strings that will give you the tension you need.

Mushuggah's normal tuning for their eights is F (half step down on all strings), but I remember them having a few songs where the lowest string was E.

I personally wouldn't recommend it. :lol: But you could give it a try if you want.
Don't forget Spasm. I think they tuned all the way down to B for that one. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meshuggah owns!!
I think i'm going to let a repair man do it then when I get new pickups for it. tell him to tune it a whole step down while he's at it haha What's tolerance for the flop?

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Meshuggah owns!!
I think i'm going to let a repair man do it then when I get new pickups for it. tell him to tune it a whole step down while he's at it haha What's tolerance for the flop?
It means how floppy your string is after you've tuned it down. The higher you tune the string, the tighter/less floppy it is & vice versa :yesway:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts