Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as the story goes, I'm looking at getting the Agile Septor 828 Camo, I know as far as stock pick-ups go, the Cephus pick-ups aren't bad, but obv. at some point I'll wanna change them. The obvious choice would be to route it for Blackouts, which I'm not completely against, but I wanna weigh up my other options first. What passive options am I looking at? Apparently DiMarzio won't even THINK about making custom 8's, since I emailed asking for some D'activator 8's. Is there anything else similar in tone?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
BKP is another obvious choice. Nordstrand (spelling?) are apparently pretty good. There's also the Drop Bears from Oni, or a Lundgren M8.

I guess it depends on what sound you're going for. BKP will probably wind you anything you want in an 8, so they probably have some decent choices.

Nordstrand I believe is all hand wound and custom made so you might have to get VERY specific with what you want.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should know better than anyone what kinda sound I go for :lol: I was thinking about BKP, I just don't know which model specifically :(

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I haven't tried a lot of the BKP models, only 3 or so, but the ones that are probably my favorite are the Stormy Mondays. They're in the vintage section, so they aren't high output, but fuck those things rip under a lot of gain, screaming harmonics too. The downside is is since they aren't really made for high gain stuff, they're noisy. I was thinking of contacting Tim and asking what he might recommend, if he could make some kind of Stormy Monday like humbucker that might not be so damn noisy or something.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
You should know better than anyone what kinda sound I go for :lol: I was thinking about BKP, I just don't know which model specifically :(
You're probably going to want something lowish gain, with a fairly hefty midrange hump to escape the cliché, boring baouw sound all the *core bands are doing.

Not that I'm biased or anything :)lol:) but I've always though Painkillers would make ideal 8-string pickups. Plenty of midrange, good dose of treble without being harsh, and enough bass that it doesn't sound thin, but overall they're just super duper tight pickups that can cut through any mix.

They aren't terribly hot (my 6 string ones aren't any more than 13k, I believe) but honestly dude, high gain pickups won't make you sound 'heavy'. Good amp settings and a kickass band will.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The reason I was looking at passives was the flexibility of them. My mate has a 7620, with stock pick-ups and wiring, I dunno if all Ibbys are wired the same or what, but the position on the switch after just the bridge pick-ups, so like, position 4 is it, or position 2. Fuck knows :lol: I wanna be able to do that, but obviously I'd need a push/pull pot, since the Agile only has a 3 way.

Also, I was thinking Painkillers actually :lol: For what I'm gonna be playing, I might not even use the 8th string all that much, it's just nice to have it there as an option, and for when I'm writing stuff for my solo project, just opens up more possibilities. FWIW, I'll be playing in a punk/ska band (which I managed to some how fit dropped A riffage into), and a straight up hardcore band, kinda like Stampin' Ground, but my solo stuff is gonna be more FF/DH style, with a bit of Unearth threw in

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
You reckon Stitch? Sweet as fuck :lol:
Looking at the cepheus, it doesn't look as deep as the blackouts. You'd probably have to route (sounds crazy, but I did for my RG7420 and I've installed them in a couple of other guitars. They're great in that you can still install other pickups after them (unlike EMG's) but you do tend to have to route down the way slightly, particularly on guitars designed to take flat-bottomed Dimarzio's. While the Cepheus does look raised it still looks a tad too shallow. Need to see what Agile routes are like.

Also, that camo finish is bleucht. :lol: Get a proper colour you a) won't regret b)will be able to sell. :lol:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
The reason I was looking at passives was the flexibility of them. My mate has a 7620, with stock pick-ups and wiring, I dunno if all Ibbys are wired the same or what, but the position on the switch after just the bridge pick-ups, so like, position 4 is it, or position 2. Fuck knows :lol: I wanna be able to do that, but obviously I'd need a push/pull pot, since the Agile only has a 3 way.
Position 2. And yeah, I love the split buckers sounds. :lol:

Used to use it for a slightly less bassy, almost lo-fi clean sound. Don't have it now (no guitars with 5-ways) so I use an Ibanez LF7 to replicate it. Good fallback if it ever comes to it :)

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been looking at the LF7 too oddly enough :lol:

As far as camo goes, it's an obsession I have, my fucking room is camo and all my gear bags and clothes bags and shit :lol:

I plan on getting another 8 at some point, whether it's an Agile again, or even the RGA8 (which I can get sprayed lambo Orange for VERY cheap, because my mate done his BMW in it and has loads left over) I hate how Agile don't have EU distributors, I want one of their 7's too.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I've been looking at the LF7 too oddly enough :lol:

As far as camo goes, it's an obsession I have, my fucking room is camo and all my gear bags and clothes bags and shit :lol:

I plan on getting another 8 at some point, whether it's an Agile again, or even the RGA8 (which I can get sprayed lambo Orange for VERY cheap, because my mate done his BMW in it and has loads left over) I hate how Agile don't have EU distributors, I want one of their 7's too.
LF7 is a little gem man, without a doubt one of my favourite pedals. Along with my Nova Delay. And my PN-2. And my Slow Gear. :lol: Harder to find now, though...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Painkiller is awfully hot for an 8... but if you are thinking about Blackouts, then they will make an awesome alternative. Tim @ BKP told me he doesn't like to recommend much hotter than the Cold Sweat on 8's as the low string tends to overload the pickup (longer bar, more wire... MORE MAGNET WHOMPO).

Duncan Custom Shop winds 8's too. Probably run you $250 or so.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Painkiller is awfully hot for an 8... but if you are thinking about Blackouts, then they will make an awesome alternative. Tim @ BKP told me he doesn't like to recommend much hotter than the Cold Sweat on 8's as the low string tends to overload the pickup (longer bar, more wire... MORE MAGNET WHOMPO).

Duncan Custom Shop winds 8's too. Probably run you $250 or so.
More like run you £350 or so. Aria UK are fucking rapists as far as importers go.

Fair enough about the Painkiller, I have no detailed experience with 8 string pickups, I just know that the EMG808's in my RG2228 weren't so bad and the ones in the RGA7 were shittastic. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
More like run you £350 or so. Aria UK are fucking rapists as far as importers go.

Fair enough about the Painkiller, I have no detailed experience with 8 string pickups, I just know that the EMG808's in my RG2228 weren't so bad and the ones in the RGA7 were shittastic. :lol:
Aria? You can't just call Duncan and have them wind and ship you a set? I know nothing of your limey ways. :(

If considering BKPs, just call Tim, he's a straight shooter. Again if you're going to use BO's anyway, fuck, go with a PK. You're totally right about the cutting midrange. BKP is likely your best bet since you live on the same planet anyway.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Aria? You can't just call Duncan and have them wind and ship you a set? I know nothing of your limey ways. :(

If considering BKPs, just call Tim, he's a straight shooter. Again if you're going to use BO's anyway, fuck, go with a PK. You're totally right about the cutting midrange. BKP is likely your best bet since you live on the same planet anyway.
a) Duncan won't do that. It's not a country thing, it's the ins and outs of business. If Seymour Duncan cut out their distributors, why should the distributors bother carrying the stuff? You order custom pickups through Aria, they order them from SD, they then ship them to your local music shop, who you then pay. Everyone makes money along the way. Same way most shops in the US won't ship to Canada - they aren't allowed to step on Canadian stockist's toes.

b) I'm not fucking English, so don't call me a limey bastard again. :mad:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
a) Duncan won't do that. It's not a country thing, it's the ins and outs of business. If Seymour Duncan cut out their distributors, why should the distributors bother carrying the stuff? You order custom pickups through Aria, they order them from SD, they then ship them to your local music shop, who you then pay. Everyone makes money along the way. Same way most shops in the US won't ship to Canada - they aren't allowed to step on Canadian stockist's toes.

b) I'm not fucking English, so don't call me a limey bastard again. :mad:
a) :yesway:

b) :p

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Just get someone you trust in the US to order the pickup direct from SD, then get them to ship it to you when it's done, that's if you would rather go SD than BKP though.

Also you're all a bunch of limey fucks.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Just get someone you trust in the US to order the pickup direct from SD, then get them to ship it to you when it's done, that's if you would rather go SD than BKP though.

Also you're all a bunch of limey fucks.
What, and pay 4.2% interest on it, and then 20% VAT on it too? Sounds like a great deal. :lol:

Why bother, when Bareknuckles are infinitely better? :fawk:

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Why pay 4.2% interest on it? Probably cheaper that way if he really wanted the SD's than ordering it and getting raped by your own dealers.

I'd probably go BKP too either way, but it's an option :shrug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts