Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I've heard that the 18v mod doesn't do much on the 808 for some reason or the other.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I liked it in the bridge, didn't like it at all in the neck.
Yep. I played an RG2228 and didn't like the neck pup... seemed muddy even though it was in basswood, which you would think would have that midrangey poking-through-the-mix sound. I think the mahogany body would enhance that muddy quality since it's low-mid focused, especially on the lower strings.

I hate to say this, but my recommendation is to swap in some Blackouts. The guitar should already be routed correctly, and you should be able to sell a brand new set of 808's for a good price. Just my :2cents:, and full disclosure: my Blackout 8's are in a poplar body, which is more like alder than mahogany. I find the low end to be super tight and the mids to be well-voiced for 8-string low-tunings, so I think it's your best bet for active pups.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I actually like the 808 just fine. I did the 18V mod, and at first I didn't like it too much, and went back to the 9V. But then I played it on 18V for a few weeks, and now I can't stand the 9V. It definitely opens it up a little more and makes it slightly more organic. Mind you, I've got the 808 in a 28 5/8" scale, and I've got the generic Agile pups (cepheus) in a 27" scale, and the longer scale may be making the difference in the tone. Still, I've got 2 8 strings on order, one with BKPs and one with BOs, because the vast majority of people think BOs>808s.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
I don't own a 8 as such, but when I tried out the Hellraiser C-8, the 808s sound great.
I can't confirm the sound of 8 string Blackouts, but I have experience with them in both 6 and 7 string format (indeed, my RG 7421 is in fact fitted with a set) and they sound rad

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'm considering switching to Blackouts anyway. I'm definitely planning to give it a shot with the stock pickups first, though, so we'll see how that works out. At the price I'll be getting the guitar for, mods won't be a big deal.
Awesome, man. I think that's your best bet. I'd love to hear 808s in my guitar for reference purposes, so you're getting the best of both worlds there. I think you'll be very happy with the Blackouts, they're very versatile.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I think the 808 is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The one reason I barely play my 8 string is every time I plug it into my amp, I just heard this horrible, artificial, boosted presence and overly harsh crap coming out of it.

That about sums up my opinion of it.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered the guitar yesterday, and I've found someone who wants to trade his Blackouts for my 808s...so when I receive the guitar (probably mid-June), I'm gonna try it through my rig at both 9V and 18V and see how I like it, and if I'm not a fan of the EMGs, we'll do the trade :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I ordered the guitar yesterday, and I've found someone who wants to trade his Blackouts for my 808s...so when I receive the guitar (probably mid-June), I'm gonna try it through my rig at both 9V and 18V and see how I like it, and if I'm not a fan of the EMGs, we'll do the trade :yesway:
Sucker! Congrats man, I want to see the NGD. Maybe you could get sound clips pre- and post-op? That would be killer to get a nice apples to apples comparison of those pickups in that guitar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts