Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yay or Nay?
In my search for a Jackson ATT I came across this last night
I know the solid ones are supposedly basswood, I have the opportunity to grab a blue one that is very clean but
I've heard mixed reports on the solid colored ones?
this is the culprit
thoughts?

alternatively I can grab this for considerably less, the paper thin necks on these is making me hesitate

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$800 too much for that?

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I passed on both of them he wanted $500.00 for the Jackson Fusion (which is a bit high ) it's really clean
but I've seen USA fusions goes not a lot more recently
A couple of people said the same thing over on the JCF.
The basswood ones sound dead.oh well back to the hunt for the elusive ATT Pro :(

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a current Charvel, that I'm actually going to sell soon (I've decided I really like 24 frets better and my GMW is the best 22 fret bolt on I've ever played)
I recently picked up an ESP Eclipse II and really kind of like the shorter scale,
SO now I'm jonesing for either an ATT or a 750XL, I want one with a trem, I may not even like it but I want to try one.

Gee anyone who 's got one could even send it to Quigs and let me try it for a while (he works right near me ) :agreed::agreed::agreed:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I even spoke to a Jackson Rep about this the other day, he has no Idea why they don't have a short scale archtop in their line up
as he surfs the JCF and sees how popular these things are.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
both true I much prefer the Jackson but when I saw this 750 I figured I'd check it out, I was hoping it was a trans one
at that price if nothing else I could've flipped it or traded it :)

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Yeah, the 750XL is basically a Soloist shape LP.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
$800 is fair for the quality, though it might not be the sound you are looking for. I had a basswood 650xl that smoked. Though that is neckthrough, 750 is more set neck. That 650 was one of the only basswood guitars I have ever liked. 650 is one of the most underrated Charvels though. Those smoke most later/pro USA Jacksons.

And just to keep things real here, the whole "Solid Color 750xls are basswood" is based on the testimonial of *one* guy who sanded his down. One guy. That's unfortunately how a lot of stuff works for the earlier years of Jackson in the internet forum age. One guy has something and it circulates until it is absolute truth. I wouldn't be surprised if they all were basswood. But things were variable enough (knob recesses, pull up routes) during those years I wouldn't be surprised if some solid colors were Les Paul woods too. There's no definitive answer out there.

How much is that Fusion? I had a Fusion Pro and the neck was actually not paper thin. Medium thin. I've had an 89 Student Soloist, my Ontario Rhoads, and a TOM AT I sold Jacksonplayer here that all had thinner necks than the Fusion Pro.

I've never played an AT that was bad, and I've had three. The Red one I bought from Chris that I sold Crooks that he sold to someone else in particular was quite good. It had a fatter neck than my current trem AT and sounded a lot deeper.

This one.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he wants $500 for the Fusion, I'm actually waiting on pics from him on that one .
I'm on the fence about this whole 750XL thing . I'd hate to have to take a loss on it if I don't like it (I don't even know if I'll like a 24 fret 24.75 neck)
that Red Jackson is killer .....drool

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I've never played an AT that was bad, and I've had three. The Red one I bought from Chris that I sold Crooks that he sold to someone else in particular was quite good. It had a fatter neck than my current trem AT and sounded a lot deeper.

This one.

After upgrading all the hardware and pickups, I sold that to Andy. It was great, but I just didn't need two floyded ATs, and the Amber one I kept is prettier.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
here's another shot of the 750 (he has a nice 650XL too ) I may try to weasel that one away from him too

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
650s are way way underrated, mine was one of the coolest superstrats I've ever owned. Most are gorgeous too. The matching headstock and toothpaste logo are a great combo. The only Jackson/Charvel that is as underappreciated is the Stealth Pro. Which is fucking AMAZING. I don't like the S style radius body, but I went through great lengths to sell mine to a good friend it was so good.

If the fusion is in good shape I would go for it in a heartbeat. Though $400 is more in line with what they are worth, unless he has nice aftermarket pickups in there. The Fusion Pro I had was amazingly easy to play, easier to play than the ATs I've had. Unfortunately I'm a tall dude and it was too much like a toy to me.

Crooks is right, the red AT had an underwhelming flame and there was a gnarly section of chipped binding, but it was an amazing sounding guitar, as anyone who has owned it (a few of us now) will attest.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts