Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but they don't exist :lol:

I'm getting the feeling more that my 8-space megarack is just too big. At the same time, I have 5 crucial spaces filled; my 2:90, AFX, and power strip.

I have a really old 4-space Mesa/Boogie rack bag that has a wood frame and the top has two nylon vents about 2" by 12" or so. Great for ventilation.

It seems the only 5-space rack bag out there is the Odyssey bag, and it looks more like luggage than a ported rack. I'd be afraid of the 2:90 melting it :lol:

So any ideas? I was thinking of maybe just putting the AFX and 2:90 in the Mesa 4 space rack bag but then I don't keep the furman, and I'd be a little nervous about having $3500 worth of gear plugged into a target surge protector. The Mesa rack bag is deep enough for the 2:90, but there's no rear rack rails so mounting the furman on the back would be daunting.

Any ideas? I'm really looking to downsize my gear.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

How deep is the 4space? Can you rack the furman behind the axe mebbe?

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sold my wireless! :lol:

Just did some measurements, the furman wouldn't fit in the 4space rack bag mounted in the rear. The rack bag is 15" deep and the AFX is 12".

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Get a thinner furman fool! :lol:

and the Mesa is like 64" deep I'm assuming?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

Or just get a SIX space bag?

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
Does your 2:90 not get to hot when it is that close to the Axe? Mine got super hot when I had it stacked like that without spaces. I would be afraid to run it right under the Axe without any space between it. When I had mine, the 2:90 got so hot that it fried the effects unit I had above it. :( I had to replace it. Needless to say, I started using a space between stuff after that. I would just be worried using units that close to each other when the other unit is $2k. :lol:

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. You could always go to Microcenter or something and find a surge/voltage protector that is a bit more expensive and mount it in the back of the rack. That way you don't have to use a rack space. I thought about doing that at one point to free up a space.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Get a thinner furman fool! :lol:

and the Mesa is like 64" deep I'm assuming?
lol yeah really! The triaxis sure as hell was :lol:

The 2:90 is about 14" deep, but it's gotta have clearance behind it for cables and heat.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

I'm sticking to my six space bag arguement. And fan panels on the back, you know, for good measure

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I originally wanted a rack bag, but when i started looking more closely, i discovered they weren't all that i wanted. I compared rack bags to rack cases, and even though they've got straps and seem like they might be more portable, they're actually HEAVIER than a nice roto-molded rack from SKB or Gator. If it's portability you're after, get one with wheels. Rack bags just seem like an odd compromise to me... plywood on the inside, nylon and foam on the outside. :shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts