Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been running it like this for a couple of months now, and it is awesome. I hereby renounce my claim to the title. I am no longer the king of High Gain.

that is ch3 and 4

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I've liked the tone out of Vintage better than Modern on every Recto I've ever played thru. ;)

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apparently a lot of people use vintage with a boost for hi gain tones. When I posted a thread a while back like 15 people said that's how they use their dual.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch this video and tell me this amp doesn't slay. I wish this dude listed his settings though.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:eek:

I smell Drew hacking into Chris' account...
Nope. Even I use channel 4 modern for rhythm, tho vintage completely owns for leads.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Is this the amp confession thread? :lol:

My confession: I run the gain on my Rivera at 8-9 most times. Although Riveras are different than most High Gainers (ENGLs Especially) in that the entire 1-10 sweep is usable. Whats the point in having 1-10 if you only use up to 6 :fawk:.

Before everybody "Dude you are such an amateur, I run my gain at 3 and it makes multitracking guitars sound massive and not mushy, etc etc." Let it be known that most every high profile K-Tre Player runs the gain at ~8-9. The K-tre are simply designed with that in mind. IMO that makes more sense than only 4-6 being usable.

(not a fan of slipknot or shadows fall though, the tone in the slipknot video is awesome though)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It all really depends on what you're doing with your amp, I suppose. You'll hear people like Dave/Mike/Matt, who play in bands and record (well, Matt and Mike do, :lol:) say "I run my gain at x and bass at x", and they're usually not talking about bedroom jamming situations.

That Shadows Fall tone sounds great, but I can't see myself recording with that tone, especially layered, or jamming with another guitarist with it.

The tone I'm talking about in my first is a bedroom jamming situation. I do still like to run Ch3 modern with the gain dimed, but it's just for fun - not something I'd actually track with, or jam with a bassist/drummer, etc.

My point is, a lot of the "advice" you see on forums on where to run your amps is useless without the situation that you'll be running it in. :yesway:

Edit: Wow, that slipnot video does have some killer tone in it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't you find running amps with that much gain just makes your playing sound so unclean and dirty.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I agree with that point completely. I just find it annoying that it has become so prevalent that there are a lot of "internet amp forum experts" that go around saying, "Oh your gain is on 7.5, thats unusable." There are quite a few amp designs where 7.5 is completely valid, even for a guy who is playing at super high volumes. The Slipknot album was recorded at like 8.5 with a boost with MV levels at like 7-8. While I detest Slipknot, very few people will argue that the production was done by people who are more expert than any of us.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
My gain is at noon on ch3 vintage and just under noon on ch4 modern.

My thing is, I find ch3 vintage just kicks ass for heavy rhythm, chorus and lead tones. I use ch4 modern for most of my leads, but ch3 just sounds more open. It's all where that voicing sits.

If I could clone ch3 into ch4, I probably woud...

·
Registered
122 Posts
My thing is, I find ch3 vintage just kicks ass for heavy rhythm, chorus and lead tones.
I agree. I tried to use channel 3/vintage as a dedicated lead channel but I found it was good for everything, so I started to use it as an alternate rhythm sound to contrast channel 4/modern.

Conversely, I tried using channel 4/modern as a dedicated rhythm sound but I found it was good for leads too. Go figure...

Thankfully there's that solo boost button, so I can use any channel as a lead channel if I feel like it.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
My gain is at noon on ch3 vintage and just under noon on ch4 modern.

My thing is, I find ch3 vintage just kicks ass for heavy rhythm, chorus and lead tones. I use ch4 modern for most of my leads, but ch3 just sounds more open. It's all where that voicing sits.

If I could clone ch3 into ch4, I probably woud...
You can get it 99% of the way there with the presence knob mod. Look it up on the Grailtone Mesa forum.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I agree with that point completely. I just find it annoying that it has become so prevalent that there are a lot of "internet amp forum experts" that go around saying, "Oh your gain is on 7.5, thats unusable." There are quite a few amp designs where 7.5 is completely valid, even for a guy who is playing at super high volumes. The Slipknot album was recorded at like 8.5 with a boost with MV levels at like 7-8. While I detest Slipknot, very few people will argue that the production was done by people who are more expert than any of us.
Well, a lot depends on the amp, the player, and the rest of the chain. Generally, what we say is when someone talks about diming the gain on a Recto on Modern, that they're insane. Gain dimed on Vintage with low output pickups, though, can be drool-worthy. Channel volume makes such a huge difference on 3ch Rectos, too...

But, yeah, there's a lot of people that think they know stuff. Whatever works, at the end of the day, is what you go with. :yesway:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Yes, that's the Ultra channel on a 3120/XXX with the gain on 7. :lol:
In the style of Lewis Black: "That's fucked up."

Crazy bastard. :lol:

I actually ran my Crunch channel at high noon like you in a band situation, but when I put Lead mode to 7 the XXX would just shriek like a drowning cat. Maybe it was just mine with the higher-gain JJ preamp tubes I installed.

Oh, and Chris: :miniwang:

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
In the style of Lewis Black: "That's fucked up."

Crazy bastard. :lol:

I actually ran my Crunch channel at high noon like you in a band situation, but when I put Lead mode to 7 the XXX would just shriek like a drowning cat.

Oh, and Chris: :miniwang:
If it was my only amp, I would just use an OD to boost the crunch channel for leads. :lol: Trying to avoid other gear with that amp though, just time/modulation in the loop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts