Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Searls Guitars
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been way too long since my last post, so here are some pics to try make up for it!

My most recent build is VERY different than what I normally do! SS6 FT

The concept for this build was I wanted to put the vibe of a '57 Chevy into a guitar. I had a pic of a car I based it off. I looked at lots of guitars that people have tried to make look like cars and they usually replicate the fin or the grill or a profile pic etc, they all looked pretty crappy to me so I decided to take the colors and vintage styling and blend it with my modern superstrat's I build. It turned out looking fair a bit Ibby like which I never intended, but these things happen. It's a freakin awesome player!

First time I've ever done a pick guard guitar, first solid paint guitar in a couple years.

Hope you like it!

Another one finished recently is this Black Limba/Rosewood/Ebony SS6 RT.

I originally built it to keep it for myself, but I decided I can't keep every guitar I build so...

Here is a SS7 RT that went to Melbourne a while back. Ash body, Maple neck and Ebony board.

And a clip of it in action:

This one made it's way to Arizona, all maple SS7 RT with a Ebony board.

Brass inlay:

Another couple that were for local guys:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Nice guitars man

·
Searls Guitars
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice guitars man
I looked at your website and wow man. There is a lot of killer woodworking skills~!
Thanks & Thanks.

Me posting these is kind of like my version of a NGD. I don't get to buy many guitars these days as I'm always building them, but I'm still a guitarist and I like to show off anything that's new, but I don't want to come off like I'm trying to promote or anything, as a guitarist I like to be on guitar forums!

My most recent guitar purchase was a Churchill dreadnought cutaway. Absolutely stunning acoustic.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Beautiful!

... But you know what's missing? Full frontal pictures, where we can see the entire guitar.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Great work man! The '57 and the red one are the most appealing to me. Is there a slight burst to that red one, or is just the way the wood absorbed the dye?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Seafoam + pearloid + maple = sex. Love that guitar.

·
Searls Guitars
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great work man! The '57 and the red one are the most appealing to me. Is there a slight burst to that red one, or is just the way the wood absorbed the dye?
The red one is my "wartorn" (kind of like a relic finish crossed with acid wash jean effect!) finish with a red over the top, so it has a burst type edge with patching across the surfaces etc.

·
Searls Guitars
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're all gorgeous, but that '57 inspired one is lovely!
It's hard to try convert the vibe of a car into a guitar and choosing the '57 Chevy probably seems too mainstream or generically obvious, but to me it was a bit more personal as they're one of my favourite cars.

My last daily driver (except for my work ute) was a red '57 Chevy that had been reasonably restomodded. I only sold is as things were tight and house comes before car, so it had to go. I do miss it and using the work ute (think El Camino but 2004 model) as a daily driver just doesn't have the same element of feeling bloody good about yourself as driving a several hundred HP '57 chev that has a killer stance and enough rumble to make your guts vibrate.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
PHWOAR! Great stuff :D Especially loving that seafoam green one. Nice work!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts