Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
I feel like Chris posted pictures from there some time back. Maybe my mind is messing with me.

It looks beautiful, and totally something I would not do, because I am a gigantic pussy. :noplease:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I feel like Chris posted pictures from there some time back. Maybe my mind is messing with me.

It looks beautiful, and totally something I would not do, because I am a gigantic pussy. :noplease:
I did, Atrace is my older brother, who you'll be drinking with in about 5 weeks. :ryan:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Looks like a good challenging hike! :metal: Beautiful area.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I knew the brotherly thing already... And the drinking thing... I just wasn't sure if you had done the climbing thing. :lol:
My profile pic is actually from here. :D

We've done the climbing thing a ton, though my brother is the fucking Terminator of hiking. Every time I go with him I hate my out of shape lifestyle just a little bit more. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That looks like so much fun!

I used to go hiking with my dad and grandpa in the Adirondacks every summer. I think I'd fall apart if I tried some of those 12-milers now.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks Sketchtacular! :lol: I would actually give that a go..
You are close enough to the park to bang it out in a day with an early departure, but the best bet is to grab a room in the offseason (now...hint hint) for short money and spend a day hiking this and a few other routes.

Bar Harbor is an outstanding little villiage with great shops and a few quality pubs and the park is literally right outside town.

These peaks are only 1000-1500 foot tall on average and some really good ones like Beehive, another sick ladder route, are only 5-600 feet so exertion is not a factor and it is more a matter of just being really mindful of the terrain and sticking on the route at all times.

Precipice is the most challenging by far, but at a mile up you are talking 90 minutes counting taking pics and movies and ALL 90 minutes of it is you enjoying some of the best climbing outside of the Rockies. You are on a ledge the minute you walk past the trailhead sign and it never lets up until the summit area which is flat, open and safe. Picture the best parts of New England's alpine peaks like Katahdin and Washington without the 2-3 hours in the woods and you get these mountains. In one day you can do Precipice (2.5 hours round trip) , the Beehive (1 hour RT) grab lunch in town and then do a loop over Penobscot and Sargent ( probably the best standard hike in the park since 80% of it is wide open) and be done in time to watch the sunset from the top of Cadillac Mountain.

An example of the terrain on the Sargent loop is here:

Here is the overhead from Google Earth with a decent trail description.

http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trail/acadia-national-park-penobscot-and-sargent-mountains-loop/

The Beehive is another ladder trail and a mini version of Precipice with a 500 foot cliff and some fun ladders. Me and Chris climbed down this thing in PITCH BLACK since we took it down from Precipice after starting late in the day.

http://www.exploretheeast.com/displayAdventure.jsp?advType=Hiking&featureID=11

I took it down the other day and shot a few pics from its ladders. You can go up Precipice, take a relaxing ridge walk down to the Beehive, and drop down the ladders to the beach. My entire route took about 3 hours and I spend plenty of time shooting pics. I am also a 255 lb 40 year old guy, and nowhere near in the shape I was when I climbed with Chris so you will probably be able to knock a good half hour off this time.

Yes: We did climb down this in the dark. :nuts:

This is the Beehive from below. For a 520 foot hill it gives you about 30 minutes of ladders and some decent ledge scrambles.

There is also this other attraction: Probably the best ocean views on the East Coast. :yesway:

Combined with Bar Harbor this park may be the best hiking bang for the buck in the East and aside from a 45 mile run from Bangor to the gate through a few tows on a backroad this is all highway with only a few tolls.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Damn dude, that's gorgeous. And we gotta go hiking sometime. :metal:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts