Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The sound clip where he strips away the source, leaving all the distortion and noise that are shoved into modern music is extremely telling.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Wow, I wish I could understand these videos more. I think I got the gist of it, but I'd like more elaboration (not asking anyone here to do this).

·
18,790 Posts
The "Loudness Normalization" in media servers he suggested sounds a lot like what Dolby Volume is attempting to do (and, from what I've heard, succeeding at).

As long as it's a switchable feature, I'm all for it. Flick it on for really low-volume, background listening, or the average listener who just wants loud all the time, switch it off for people who actually like dynamics.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
That crappy distortion is why I canceled satellite radio, the distortion was so bad that I couldn't listen to the music.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't listen to low bit rate mp3's. It seems they make my tinnitus worse, I'm guessing this happens because of the distortion but I can't be sure ofc.
I've also completely stopped watching tv because I can hear a high pitched sound coming from it(old crt based tv), lcd monitors were a blessing when I got my first.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Google "loudness wars", and several good articles will turn up.
Oh yeah, I was kinda familiar with this already but I did some googling anyways which led me to watching several youtube vids.

I must say, I'm guilty of making my mixes as loud as possible, but I make sure there is still clarity and some dynamics, not all distorted or anywhere like the CD version of Death Magnetic. There's just some things that I can't hear while mixing so I go in and manually cut peaks so I can bring everything else up.

Besides that, I'd like to find a book instead of taking a class that can give me more detail into some of the terms Bob Katz mentioned.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I now cannot un-hear the distortion in the mp3s I'm currently listening to.
True story:

So I read this yesterday, watched the videos, and, while I thought it was interesting kinda didn't think much of it. A couple of hours later I go to gym, a "new" Creed song comes on the PA, and all I heard was that noise.

It was sad and enlightening, all at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts