Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I found out that if bend the high B string beyond the edge of the fret and press it against the site of the fret, it will ring the note 1½ step higher. I recorded a little clip that demonstrates how it can be used in a musical context.

You learn something new every day. :yesway:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
i figured that out years ago, but my teacher always yelled at me for doing it :lol:
id use it, but i can never get it to be consistent

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hammett uses that in the record version of the master of puppets solo on the high e string.
No, Hammet got his high E string stuck under the neck pickup bobbin after the first bar dive, and you can hear him trying to yank it loose.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
No, Hammet got his high E string stuck under the neck pickup bobbin after the first bar dive, and you can hear him trying to yank it loose.
Which is just about as kickass a take as you can get, IMO.

It's like when AC-DC were recording, and someone's Marshall started belching smoke, and they kept going anyways.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Alright, so I found out that if bend the high B string beyond the edge of the fret and press it against the site of the fret, it will ring the note 1½ step higher. I recorded a little clip that demonstrates how it can be used in a musical context.

You learn something new every day. :yesway:
It also varies guitar-by-guitar. Basically what's happening is the string is ringing out at the first fret where it's NOT hanging off the fretboard, so this is pretty depenant upon how your frets are crowned, if one is slightly closer to/past the edge than most of the rest, etc.

Max - your teacher is an asshole then. :lol: It's unconventional, but it's a totally valid way of getting notes out of a guitar, and NOT doing something because it's not normal is a sure-fire way to limit technique. Hell, 25 years ago, tapping and sweep picking were "wrong" ways to play notes, and look what's happened since. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Max - your teacher is an asshole then. :lol: It's unconventional, but it's a totally valid way of getting notes out of a guitar, and NOT doing something because it's not normal is a sure-fire way to limit technique. Hell, 25 years ago, tapping and sweep picking were "wrong" ways to play notes, and look what's happened since. :lol:
:agreed:

Joe Satriani stumbled upon this technique when he was an instructor. Steve Vai tells stories about Joe turning around to do it, since he didn't want Steve to see what he was doing. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:lol: That's awesome. The funny thing is, I think EVERYONE's stumbled upon it at some point in their career. I even tried to write a melody around it once, but the higher notes didn't have the same body and sustain as the actual fretted ones, so...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Unconventional = cool.

Hendrix used to have a spot on one of his Strats' higher frets filed with a notch so he could drag the string across and get a scraping sound.

Finding a cool new way to get a note out of your guitar is awesome. From there, it's a matter of how much damage it does to yourself or your instrument, and how much you care about said damage.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hendrix used to have a spot on one of his Strats' higher frets filed with a notch so he could drag the string across and get a scraping sound.
D string, 16th fret (F# note). You can hear it in the intro to "Foxy Lady".

·
Registered
604 Posts
I played a USA Soloist that had the high E trapped under the first fret, which was simultaneously amusing and discouraging from purchasing it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
No wonder i could never get it to sound like the record :lol:
It's also why you see that note written as the 29th fret, high E string when you look at tabs for MoP.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
oh he was an asshole, trust me :lol:
he taught history and shit too, and was a huge part of my schools politics. and i hated him. ask my girl, she loved him :lol:

i still have tried using it, but its so fucking unreliable for me from guitar to guitar as drew explained, that i dont like the idea.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i hadn't been playing for too long before i noticed that little trick. pretty much right when i started note bends. :) i would never use it in a musical context, but that's just me.

·
Neil deGrasse Tyson is my HERO.
1,053 Posts
Yeah man, I discovered this real awesome tricky a couple of days ago myself actually - You brush the side of your thumb against the string as you pick a single not and a harmonic squeals out :scream:

:lol: yeah It's a cool trick when It works properly.

·
Total failure
27 Posts
Yeah man, I discovered this real awesome tricky a couple of days ago myself actually - You brush the side of your thumb against the string as you pick a single not and a harmonic squeals out :scream:

:lol: yeah It's a cool trick when It works properly.
Yeah, it's called a pinch harmonic. Or were you kidding? :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I used this on a solo in one of my projects on the high E, except my Xiphos actually bent the note a fifth!! So it was a really cool sound to end the solo with. :yesway:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like pulling the string off the fret and back on again afterwards. It makes a noise like those party whistle things that roll out when you blow into them.
I'm all for making weird noises from the guitar, if your using a trem then the amount of stuff you can do is insane.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts