Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was experimenting with etching aluminium today which i must tell you is no fun at all it takes far too long.

Its for a pedal looper thingy im doing.

There was a slight mess up with the actual etching where the dirty side of the enclosure came out a lot grittier and less clean looking overall which was a happy accident.

Clean side

Dirty Side

Top View

You cant see it too well in some of the pictures but its etched about 0.5mm deep overall and less in other places ideally i wanted it a bit deeper.

This took around 3 hours with double my normal strength etching solution for pcbs that only takes 3-5 mins on pcbs.

Next time i try this ill be sure to mask things off properly and make the solution a fair bit stronger.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Nice!

I spilled some nitric (70%) on my shoes at work doing some etching. It now has these cool light splash marks :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Only Chris cares about this ->: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What are you using for masking?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a mixture of printer toner and some hasty coverups with an etch resistant pen that turns out wasnt actually etch resistant as i picked the wrong one up:ugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts