Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Probably the best-known song or riff in 5/4 time is the original Mission Impossible theme. (Not the dumbed-down U2 version where they dropped a beat to make it more "danceable".)

Heh... and funny that the "expert" in this video can't even play 5/4 right.

"One-two-three-four-five-two-three-four... one-two-three-four..."

I usually get by with breaking complex time signatures down into smaller chunks... i'd probably count 5/4 as "1-2-3, 1-2" or "1-2, 1-2-3". We used to play "Missed" by PJ Harvey, most of which is in 11/4. I'd have to count it as "1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4-5".

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Heh... and funny that the "expert" in this video can't even play 5/4 right.
I lol'd

I usually get by with breaking complex time signatures down into smaller chunks... i'd probably count 5/4 as "1-2-3, 1-2" or "1-2, 1-2-3". We used to play "Missed" by PJ Harvey, most of which is in 11/4. I'd have to count it as "1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3-4-5".
:agreed:

That's how I was taught to count 5/4 (and any other "interesting" time signature). Plus, this way you'll end up with an easy way to track accent beats

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Because of my misspent youth listening to Rush and Frank Zappa, 5/4 time has always come naturally to me. In fact, sometimes I'll noodle around on a new riff for months before realizing it's in 5/4. I tend to count it out as just 4/4 with a nice add-on at the end, which usually results in the fifth beat getting an accent when I use it.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
We like to rotate covers out after a while. We haven't played that one for years, and i don't think we've ever played it in our new lineup. Other covers we've done:

Siva - Smashing Pumpkins
Fight - The Cure
TV Sky - Young Gods
Kissing the Sun - Young Gods
Big Boots/Man o' War - Radiohead

Sometimes we've only played a cover once or twice live, which was the case with "TV Sky" and "Fight". We played "Man o' War" almost since the beginning, but we finally retired it a couple of years ago after we finally got around to recording it.

I like 5/4 and 7/4 a lot. I should probably try to write more stuff in those time signatures. One of my favourite 7/4 Rush songs is "Superconductor".

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
peter gabriel's drummer looks.. interesting :lol:. Aaron, what is the time signature for that song? I'm pretty sure I play a couple weird time signatures without even knowing it lol

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Cool. is it bad that felt 4/4 to me? :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Or 14/8. Budda: That's the beauty of it (and kinda the point Aaron was making)... effective use of odd time has the listener not even knowing it. Everyone can hum the Mission Impossible theme ("Dun Dun DUN-DUN Dun Dun dun-dun"), but not many people know it's in tricky 5/4 time.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I understood his point, I just find it interesting that I might use crazy time signatures without knowing it.

Oh, and you should introduce yourself as your real name to people :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or 14/8. Budda: That's the beauty of it (and kinda the point Aaron was making)... effective use of odd time has the listener not even knowing it. Everyone can hum the Mission Impossible theme ("Dun Dun DUN-DUN Dun Dun dun-dun"), but not many people know it's in tricky 5/4 time.
:agreed: 5/4 always feels natural to me, but I pretty much always end up in Mission Impossible territory with the rhythm (making it feel like 1-2-3-1-2) :lol: But that might be because I write a lot in 6/8, and so I just approach it like 6 with one beat missing, rather than 4+1. :shrug:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've played "Mars, The Bringer of War" so many times that I'm used to that 5/4 groove. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts