Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Whoa. Maybe something out there doesn't want any part of us leaving our little corner of the universe!

In all seriousness, that is wild. I wonder what is causing it?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Maybe the place where the solar wind meets the interstellar wind isn't the sharp line we expected it to be. Then again, logic dictates that the force would not be independent of distance.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Very interesting. I guess this just goes to show just how much more there is to learn and find out.

Whoa. Maybe something out there doesn't want any part of us leaving our little corner of the universe!

In all seriousness, that is wild. I wonder what is causing it?
:lol: I'd hope that whatever intelligent beings were trying to do that could do better than reducing the speed by 6 miles an hour per 100 years. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
This is old news : original article dates from 10 Feb 2002. Phenomenon is still not explained though.
Apparently nobody read my link.

It is (or was) flying through dust from the Kuiper belt, and they've managed to measure the density of said dust from the missing components of the acceleration for which they couldn't account. It all makes sense from classical physics; no new forces have been derived from this data.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I think at the current distance it might simply be that we are missing something in our data, and not actually seeing the slowness at all. We are talking about an object moving at roughly 27 thousand miles an hour, dropping in speed 6.84 e-6 miles per hour. In 30 years our technology may have improved to the point where it's accounted for and nothing is happening.
""If the effect is real, it will have a big impact on cosmology and spacecraft navigation," said Dr Laing, of the Aerospace Corporation of California." (from: Mysterious force holds back Nasa probe in deep space - Telegraph)
That's my feeling as well, 'if the effect is real'. It might also be that it is in a bit of dust and friction is slowing it down; I don't think a new force that will rewrite physics as we know it is the logical first step in determining cause here.

Apparently nobody read my link.

It is (or was) flying through dust from the Kuiper belt, and they've managed to measure the density of said dust from the missing components of the acceleration for which they couldn't account. It all makes sense from classical physics; no new forces have been derived from this data.
:) I didn't, but it does seem the most logical answer to me as well.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Also, I would guess that it's measurement error. It might be something knew to gravitational physics, because we've not been able to accurately measure a device out that far (because we've never had a device out that far), so that's not outside the realm of possibility.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Hey guys! :) Drew reminded me recently that I hadn't been by in a while so I'll make more of an effort to be around (until the next thing comes along and distracts me, at any rate ;) ) I am very nearly defined by my list of distractions these days lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.