Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need such.

My last two Linksys routers, one wired, one wired+ wireless lasted a few years each. The second one shorter than the first.

So I went with a Belkin N+. I've been having such fucking issues with it not wanting to connect to the internet through the modem. My ISP says its nothing on their end. I have to factory reset my router to get it to work, if I change any settings, it blows up and drops internet, and will not pick it up again until I reset it. Sometimes it half ass works, https will not do a damn thing, but for example, I can connect to Steam, or World of Warcraft(not that I play that game anymore, but that was the first time I had this issue about 10 months ago).

I've upgraded the firmware on it, factory reset it through the control panel, and the hard reset switch on the back. I hate leaving it default with my wifi network named belkin_some random numbers, and i hate have a 192.168.2.xxx ip address! But if I try to change it to anything else it refuses to give internets. FUCKING KEYBOARD SMASH :pissed:

So, how about a router with wifi that lasts longer than 2 years.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

What Chris said. I haven't been impressed by any WAPs that aren't enterprise level.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
If you are somewhat technically inclined get one that is just a router/firewall and run a separate wireless access point. This increases performance and reliability of both.

I haven't reset my router since the last time the power went out :lol: Currently 213 days.

What Chris said. I haven't been impressed by any WAPs that aren't enterprise level.
Even Cisco's SBE line is garbage. A client has had 4 WAP4410Ns and 3 have died (2 were replacements) so they switched brands.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I'm running an asus RTN56U, and its been awesome. Only about 6 months old though.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I hate to give a potentially out of date answer, but my netgear DG834 has been on for almost all the last 4-5 years (with at least 2 years on end) without a single blip from it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If you are somewhat technically inclined get one that is just a router/firewall and run a separate wireless access point. This increases performance and reliability of both.

I haven't reset my router since the last time the power went out :lol: Currently 213 days.

Even Cisco's SBE line is garbage. A client has had 4 WAP4410Ns and 3 have died (2 were replacements) so they switched brands.
Yeah, I fucking hate Cisco's wireless shit in general. Our system was like $30K, with 12 AP's and a head unit, and the fucker is less reliable than a Netgear. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
When this one inevitably dies, that's my next step. Low-watt Linux box firewall (or maybe an older Mac Mini) + an AP would be a pretty solid setup.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

The Cisco system blows. At my last company, I spec'ed out a $5000 Ruckus system that turned out to be as badass as the name. I only wound up using two of the four access points, since they were so effective. It could target and PoD rogue access points. Administration was dirt simple, and it was fast as shit.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Ruckus are cool, but they aren't without problems. There's a deployment we have, and it's fine a lot of the time, but the controllers sometimes go a bit screwy for no reason and the APs disappear.

I've never worked with a Cisco wireless deployment though (didn't really deal much in wireless before my current job), so I don't know if it's any worse or better.

My next router setup is likely to be MikroTik-based. I wouldn't recommend them unless you REALLY know what you are doing or have a lot of time to work out how it works, but what you get for the price is insane. Many of them cost less than most home routers, and yet can run MPLS, IPSec, any decent routing protocol, it's stunning what they can do.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
When this one inevitably dies, that's my next step. Low-watt Linux box firewall (or maybe an older Mac Mini) + an AP would be a pretty solid setup.
As of yesterday I'm running an old Athlon 2200+ as an Untangle firewall/router with my Airport in bridge mode. JeffyCakes is certainly right; when you separate pieces they run faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts