Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm not to certain if this has been thought of yet, but heck it's worth a shot and worth some discussion me thinks

So i'm sittin on the can taking a Brootalz Crunch of Epicness, thinking over some custom cab designs when a thought pops into my head.

What about Pickup Modeling

say for example you have the AXE FX all set up the way you like it, you have one or two amp models going EQ-ed to your tastes, power amps, cab, boosts, Para EQ-ed, FX, the whole shebang. but your not liking the pickups you have in your guitar. WHAT IF you could select pickups on the AXE FX, models, magnet types, wind type, height, that sorta thing.

also what if you used it with a pickup that had a near to completely flat EQ, or even Piezo pickups with same EQ. that way your guitar just transmits the signals from what you are playing and the Pickups selected on the database are what give you that slightly different tone

now i'm also thinking with all the tweak-ability the AXE FX has this might seam kinda moot to discuss, but still i'd like to hear your guys thoughts on this.

what about it boys, what do you think of selectable pickup modeling

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Isnt that basically what they did with the Line 6 Variax? Or am I missing something in your idea..

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Virtual guitar modeling (Roland VG, Line 6 Variax) exists already. The Line 6 stuff sounds notably better, but the VG-99 is quite a bit more flexible.

I'd imagine that Fractal could do both better and in one system... maybe team up with Axon and integrate their Guitar-To-MIDI system into the scheme as well.

One thing though... if they're listening... MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR SEVEN AND EIGHT STRING GUITARS!!! :scream:

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Virtual guitar modeling (Roland VG, Line 6 Variax) exists already. The Line 6 stuff sounds notably better, but the VG-99 is quite a bit more flexible.

I'd imagine that Fractal could do both better and in one system... maybe team up with Axon and integrate their Guitar-To-MIDI system into the scheme as well.

One thing though... if they're listening... MAKE IT AVAILABLE FOR SEVEN AND EIGHT STRING GUITARS!!! :scream:
I think this time around it would be for sure. 7 and 8 strings are much much bigger now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isnt that basically what they did with the Line 6 Variax? Or am I missing something in your idea..
it is, but the Variax is modeled within the guitar itself, and the models are limited, and not even remotely tweakable

and i'm coming from this at a Fractal view point, as i think Line 6 is pretty cheap assed compared to the AXE FX

this is more like a select the model within the AXE FX unit itself and then tweak that also, and the guitar would transmit the signal only, and i think you could get your hands on a normal pickup with a relatively flat EQ

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Fractal just needs to get into the custom modelled guitar shop business. The guitar can model having any combination of body/neck/fretboard woods, nuts, pickups, bridges, and electronics. Hopefully will model Tone Canyons as well :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
No thanks. I've already got way too many fucking parameters to tweak in the Axe-FX as it is. I'm already getting option overload just thinking about trying out the Redwirez cab sims.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You could possibly do it with a hexaphonic pickup.

However, the Variax was pretty good. It's only real issue was a kind of "plasticky" attack on some models, and occasionally palm mutes wouldn't sound quite right.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
No thanks. I've already got way too many fucking parameters to tweak in the Axe-FX as it is. I'm already getting option overload just thinking about trying out the Redwirez cab sims.
This. :agreed:

The afx's biggest flaw is that it does too much! I get add with this thing messing around with sounds all night until its too late and I haven't written or recorded anything :lol:

Such a fun box!

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
This. :agreed:

The afx's biggest flaw is that it does too much! I get add with this thing messing around with sounds all night until its too late and I haven't written or recorded anything :lol:

Such a fun box!
That's not Fractal's fault, that's Vince's fault. :squint:

:rofl:

Really, though, that's no reason to stop the progress of technology. Myself, I really like interface developers like Spectrasonics (I believe Fractal does it to an extent, as well) where each preset has optimized (and customizable) front panel parameters that are typical of each type of preset, then several backpage menus should you want to deep edit. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I think we're a way off from being able to model pickups. There's a hell of a lot more to the sound and feel of a pickup than the EQ curve. I'm not sure what kind of pickup would even work best for something like this. I don't really like the idea of piezos for magnetic pickup modeling. It seems like the vibrations should at least be picked up at the same spot of the string as the pickup you're trying to model. The Viriax never sounded right to me. Maybe a flat neodymium pickup of some sort would be the place to start.

I don't anticipate it happening any time soon, but if there was a guitar that could emulate different pickups (maybe even body woods) as effectively as the Axe-FX emulates amps, I'd probably get one with 8 strings and cure most of my remaining GAS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts