Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and indeed it is. Literally. This strat miraculously survived a house fire, and the poor girl who brought it into my shop had lost everything, so I promised I'd do my best to get it playing again, but it does have a lot of smoke and water damage.
I have some work cut out for me, it's horrible, but I'm very optimistic:

:ugh:

Ah blarg!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Damn :(

House fires are one of my worst nightmares. That guitar looks like it will clean up nicely though! I wonder how much damage the heat did to the neck...

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
For the right person, that'd make for a pretty neat relic'd project.

That said, the story about the fire is really unfortunate. Luckily she brought it to the right guy. :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
btw, if you take paypal, I'll kick in $25 towards the repair/parts whatever to help a fellow guitarist out. :yesway:

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn :(

House fires are one of my worst nightmares. That guitar looks like it will clean up nicely though! I wonder how much damage the heat did to the neck...
I know, eh? The thought of losing my my dog or my axes is terrifying...it looks like it will clean up, but it will take a LOT of compound and elbow grease. It will definitely still show some discoloration here and there, but she's really cool about it. She says it will give it character and memorable mojo - which I agreed wholeheartedly.

That is going to kick so much ass when it's done. Good luck bro!
I hope so, I'll do my best, thank you bud! :)

For the right person, that'd make for a pretty neat relic'd project.

That said, the story about the fire is really unfortunate. Luckily she brought it to the right guy. :)
I think it will look fairly relic'd anyways, which will be a reminder. I'll try my best, and I'll post up a pic when it's done. :)

btw, if you take paypal, I'll kick in $25 towards the repair/parts whatever to help a fellow guitarist out. :yesway:
Dude, that is boss of you to offer...what a guy, you rule Chris! :) Thanks anyways, but I will try to save everything, I'm real a cheap-ass when it comes to stuff like that.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
That thing will own when it's done though. I'll offer to chip in towards the repair bill, too. :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I hope you're only going to make it playable/functional, rather than trying to save the finish, since it looks fucking awesome like that.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, if you can get that up and running again (which I have very little doubt you will) it will be awesome.

My brother's house burned down about 6-7 months ago and his acoustic was pretty heavily smoke/water damaged. I offered to try to repair it but he let the insurance company replace it, since it was a cheap guitar anyways.

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok! <whew!> All done. It came out pretty well, and to think there's folks who pay have their guitars relic'd like this. The guitar is from '06, but looks at a glance like a '57 neck on a '62 body. The frets were a bitch, and the crusty, seized bridge was a lot of work. And being the cheapskate that I am, I didn't need to replace a single part!

Here's how it looks now (latecomers check the first posting):

She'll be very pleased, as she thought it was a write off. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts