1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going mac in ~2 weeks when school starts up, via a 15" Macbook Pro

:woot:

So 2 questions
1) Is the 2nd video card in the midlevel model worth the upgrade (basic gameswise) from to bottom tier? keep in mind im getting $150 off the cheaper model and 150 off the midrange model since im a student. Ill be using nothing crazy gameswise via steam, IE: CS and CS:S, Morrowind, ETC. Ill be paying between 1000-1200 cash on the thing and credit carding the rest. If i feel the extra 250 bucks will make the laptop last me a year or two longer, capabilities wise, ill go for it. otherwise, no. What do you guys think?

2) VMWare fusion vs just bootcamp. Ill dualboot either XP or 7, for basic gaming exclusively. I wont be doing any internet shit or anything like that with it, and i wont be booting flipping over often. Its not like ill need to switch back and forth alot. How big of a performance boost do you get in a game booting windows vs virtualization?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Rule of thumb: You can upgrade your hard drive and your memory in a laptop with ease, but you can pretty much never upgrade the video card. Best bet - go for the upgraded one out of the gate. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Also, you'll need to go boot camp for gaming, you can't run games in a VM. 3D acceleration is virtually nil, and iirc DirectX isn't supported virtually either. (don't quote me on that second one)

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i thought, although from what ive heard alot of older steam games run pretty well on vmware. whatever, one less expense. Now i just need to scrape up some extra $ to offset the extra on the nicer macbook a bit

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Also, you'll need to go boot camp for gaming, you can't run games in a VM. 3D acceleration is virtually nil, and iirc DirectX isn't supported virtually either. (don't quote me on that second one)
Yeah, basically pay no attention to any and all bullshit claims that some games will work in VMWare Fusion. Even if you do get them running, they will run like absolute ass. Just dual boot.

You can access your Boot Camp partition from Fusion if you need to, without having to reboot, if it's for something other than games.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also, refurbs? yes? no?
im a skeptic with that shit. it would be an extra $150 off, and the models are pretty new (few months no?), but i just dont know.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Applecare is pretty beast, so if you can get it on a refurb I'd say go for it. If not, go new and budget that in. Two years and 11 months from now if my iMac dies, I get a new one no questions asked.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah that much i figured. Im more concerned with the screen dimming out prematurely, wear on the touchpad already etc.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
yeah that much i figured. Im more concerned with the screen dimming out prematurely, wear on the touchpad already etc.
Shouldn't be an issue with a refurb. I highly highly doubt Apple would send out some worn out piece of crap.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
going refurb :yesway:

Might upgrade to a nicer VidCard again at these prices!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
refurb generally means:

A. It was purchased, there was something wrong, they fixed/replaced it and repackaged, or
B. It was bought, they didn't like it, returned it, and Apple repackaged it.

Either way, it's a great deal, since they let you buy the AppleCare with it still.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Checked out the 15" MBP's new at the Apple store today, and man, that's a lot of laptop for $1600. The 17's are definitely nicer but I don't know if they're twice-as-expensive nicer.

I may have to be naughty.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i went for the mid-level 15" model, refurb, and a display adapter. after taxes, 1 day shipping and all that shit it came out to under 1900 (not including the applecare, which im grabbing in march)

its due monday or tuesday

·
Registered
580 Posts
Refurb is the way to go. All of my Mac's are refurbs. I figure is good way to get the Mothership to check it twice.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
for... DUN DUN DUN $1699 Get the one with the upgraded card (like you told me to :lol:), the nicer Proc, 2nd video card and more ram, refurb. the models are brand new, they havent been around long enough to get dinged and shit

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Honestly Max, while I agree refurb is the way to go, I've got a 15" with the 9600m and a 13" with the 9400m only, and there's really not enough of a difference there to matter. Better off finding the entry 15" model with the 9400m only as a refurb.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for chiming in with that after i place the order, not when i asked whether the upgrade was worth it :lol:

motherfucker :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts