Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm talking to my co-worker about music and such (I'm a sound designer in L.A., and we both play a couple of instruments as well), and he brings up the fact that he's a big fan of thrash metal, like a7x and underoath. I was shocked that he even considered them thrash, so I then asked "what about Metallica?" He responded by saying something to the extent of "Eh....they're ok."

Ok?!??! Just OK!?!!

I had to share this with someone. It's drives me crazy.

Also, this guy wants to jam sometime...I dunno that I'd be able to take it.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Hmm.. Given the choice I may pick Avenged Sevenfold over Metallica as well. :lol: I think people think Metallica "They are awesome everyone shoudl like em" I think they name alone is bigger than the band.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Metallica without the first records is a worse-than-okay band :lol: but UO is not thrash, guy doesn't know the genre is all.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right. Honestly, I'm not a fan of anything after "Justice," but I wasn't even gonna bring up Megadeth and Anthrax, let alone "lesser" known thrash bands like Kreator and Coroner.

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O shit...i think I meant Unearth, which makes ton more sense. I always get those 2 mixed up because I'm not a fan of either. Unearth is more thrashy for sure lol.

I don't know...something about a7x being thrash, but then not liking a lot of real thrash (he considers in flames thrash too heh) just bothered me.

I'm not even a big thrash metal guy...I just like metal.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

Jason said:
Hmm.. Given the choice I may pick Avenged Sevenfold over Metallica as well. :lol: I think people think Metallica "They are awesome everyone shoudl like em" I think they name alone is bigger than the band.
The first for albums wrote the book for modern metal. You absolutely cannot overstate the band's importance. I guarantee you that 95% what you listen to in metal is influenced by them.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

The first for albums wrote the book for modern metal. You absolutely cannot overstate the band's importance. I guarantee you that 95% what you listen to in metal is influenced by them.
:shrug: I still think they get played out too much. Maybe im jaded from hearing them CONSTANLY on the radio.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
:lol: Iron Maiden is my favorite thrash band, followed by Sonata Artica who basically wrote the book on what THRASH means.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Even though Metallica and Slayer did a lot for thrash first... I personally hold Testament's "The Gathering" as my benchmark for all that is thrash (fuck it, even metal).

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Now, yes. And all of their music sucks.

Before their name became big, we all listened to them because they kicked ass. Shitfuckingtons of ass. Then they met Bob Rock. ;(

·
Prague Owlmighty
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:lol: Iron Maiden is my favorite thrash band, followed by Sonata Artica who basically wrote the book on what THRASH means.
They also did a lot for Jazz, as well as Romantic era compositions :metal:

Even though Metallica and Slayer did a lot for thrash first... I personally hold Testament's "The Gathering" as my benchmark for all that is thrash (fuck it, even metal).
Hell yes, Testament!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Genre-fication is both a blessing and a curse.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts

Eh, I don't think that necessarily means you have to be a fan, if that's what you're saying (dunno if you are or not). For example, I don't really like the Beatles all that much, even if I can understand their importance.

I'm weird in that I don't think AJFA is all that great.
Half the songs, including the title track itself, just don't maintain my interest.
Probably not the common choice I suspect, but my favorite of the first 4 is Ride the Lightning.
I jive with all the tracks on RTL, whereas I just cannot get into The Thing That Should Not Be.
MoP of course, has the superior instrumental track, Orion.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
this thread reminds me of that god-awful "most ignorant thing said about music" thread on ss.org.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Probably not the common choice I suspect, but my favorite of the first 4 is Ride the Lightning.
I jive with all the tracks on RTL, whereas I just cannot get into The Thing That Should Not Be.
MoP of course, has the superior instrumental track, Orion.
It better be the common choice. Ride the Lightning, by FAR, is the best Metallica album in my opinion. And Ride the Lightning is probably my favorite Metallica song.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts