Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..to stop wearing their clothing on air. :lol:

The preppy retailer has offered to pay cast members from MTV's popular show "Jersey Shore" to stop wearing its clothes, it said in a news release late Tuesday.

The company is "deeply concerned" that Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino "could cause significant damage" to the brand's "aspirational nature."

"Jersey Shore" features a cast of twenty-something Italian Americans partying, tanning and complaining about their jobs at a beach-front T-shirt stand.

The offer could be considered an abrupt about-face for a company that previously sold T-shirts emblazoned with the wording "The Fitchuation."

While seen as more of a publicity stunt than anything else, the offer was mentioned in notes on Wednesday by Wall Street analysts.

In a report titled "Jersey abs not welcome here," an analyst noted that on the latest episode The Situation "proudly (and loudly) wore a pair of neon green A&F sweatpants."

"No love for 'Jersey Shore!'" Nomura Securities Analyst Peter Lejuez wrote.

Abercrombie also reported earnings that beat analysts' expectations on Wednesday, prompting Wall Street Strategies analyst Brian Sozzi to write: "Management may be correct in asking (and offering to pay) the cast of 'Jersey Shore' to stop donning its logo-wear. It doesn't need the infusion of MTV and side-job dollars from the 'Jersey Shore' crew, if 2Q11 was any indication."

Sozzi said he found the offer to be "counter to everything the company stands for."

"They have half-naked teenagers standing in front of their store," he said, adding that the attention would help sales for the back-to-school season.

The Abercrombie release came from the company's Brand Senses Department and was also on the company's corporate website. The company did not immediately return a phone call or email request for further comment.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
In all fairness, I thought only douchebags wore their clothing before Jersey Shore. :lol:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
It's got to be a hoax. Any giant store like that will tell you "Any publicity is good publicity." Besides, a good portion of their clientele is exactly this demographic.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'd like to see a citation myself - it's a strange move; plausible but strange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts