Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, im looking for jobs that are... more reliable, and i keep finding lots of computer jobs that i fit perfectly except for one thing. Familiarity with active directory. Shitfuckpoop. So, ive set about learning about AD, and so far, it makes perfect sense. Windows has developed this thing, that handles a fairly broad and important set of tasks, made it seemingly quite simple and straight forward, and propagated it everywhere. Microsoft did this, apparently.

Is this too good to be true? What am i missing? :lol:

Also, any good recommendations on resources/means to learn more about it? Id like to get familiar enough with it, that while i dont have experience per set, i can hit the ground running somewhat if i sucker some employer into hiring me on :lol:

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
download 2008 server from MS (it's free to try) and set up a domain controller (run dcpromo) and whack through it. also I think you can download an exchange 2010 trial which you should practice with as well. I've run 2008R2 and exch 2007 with less than 1GB ram and it is SLOOOW so make sure you have like twice at at least :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Active Directory doesn't seem so wonderful if you understand LDAP. Then it just seems like LDAP's retarded cousin, whose parents insist he take out to play with his friends, and the first thing the clod does is jump on the football, popping it. :lol: It uses all the LDAP hierarchy, and it works with a lot of LDAP. However, it will not replicate with anything else but Active Directory, unless it is the master and the slave is just a read-only copy. The LDAP stuff that doesn't work with it is infuriating.

It is typical M$, taking a perfectly good, free product, and making you pay for a kludgy, proprietary version of it.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It is typical M$, taking a perfectly good, free product, and making you pay for a kludgy, proprietary version of it.
And like a typical M$ product people use it :lol:

AD is stupidly easy to use for basic shit that you'll run into everywhere. Getting familiar with it is pretty simple for standard shit like account creation, etc. Once you start getting into editing the schema or other random shit though, fuck that :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Useless fucking piece of shit: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-GB) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

Basic stuff is actually really basic, once you get any further, then yeah, start looking for other jobs :lol:

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

noodles said:
Active Directory doesn't seem so wonderful if you understand LDAP. Then it just seems like LDAP's retarded cousin, whose parents insist he take out to play with his friends, and the first thing the clod does is jump on the football, popping it. :lol: It uses all the LDAP hierarchy, and it works with a lot of LDAP. However, it will not replicate with anything else but Active Directory, unless it is the master and the slave is just a read-only copy. The LDAP stuff that doesn't work with it is infuriating.

I knew it!

Keep in mind this isn't for me setting up a network, it's to step into one already running. I keep finding job ads where I fit all the requirements and lots of the would-be-nices except "experience with AD is a must"

So goddamn close. Any of these would more than triple, if not quadruple, my income

1 - 7 of 7 Posts