Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I'm trying to add an active bridge pickup to one of my guitars but keep the passive in the neck position.

I've found a couple wiring diagrams, but nothing exactly as what I'm trying to do it.

This schematic is probably the closest I have come to what I'm looking for, but I want something a little different with the switch.

This is what my 3 way toggle switch looks like...

What I'm trying to do is have the middle position of the toggle switch cut off the sound entirely. I don't want it to split the sound between the pickups or anything like that, I just want the bridge and neck pickups to their respective sides and nothing in the middle position. So the middle position will be used as a 'kill switch' of sorts.

Anyway, if any of you beautiful wiring geniuses out there can maybe add to my diagram here showing how this needs to be wired, I would very much so appreciate it!! (I've edited it to resemble my switch for easier understanding on my end)

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
This is what my 3 way toggle switch looks like...

Is that prong on the side the hot output? Or the ground? Because if it's the output, all you have to do is ground the middle position to the back of one of the pots or the ground on the output jack.

If that prong on the side is the ground and the middle prong the back is the hot output, and the middle position is just combining both to that middle pole, you'd need to get a new switch, though.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That prong looks like it was there for grounding, but they grounded to the side of the switch.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I should have mentioned not to pay attention to the current wiring to the switch because I took the picture when the guitar was still wired with two passives.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
See, here's the thing though:

A lot of these 3 way switches don't have 3 separate options, the middle position is a combination of position 1 & 3. If that's the case, you can't really work around it without a new switch.

You'd have to get an On/On/On like in the far right in that diagram and then wire it so the middle position crosses a ground.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
That's tricky.
I just used seperate volume knobs with no switch. Dunno how the switch would work

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did one once but I just used seperate volume knobs for each pickup. No good doing that?
Well, I want to have the switch work as a 'kill switch' is this how you had it?

Oh ok, I see your edit now.

Ken - I'm trying to draw a schematic in paint right now.... Gonna be a minute.

Ok, this is what is happening with the current wiring. I'm currently getting the middle position to do the 'kill switch' effect. Not because I wired it this way, but because the factory soldering is so shoddy that it actually fell off (I'm assuming it was caused by the black wire in my diagram that leads to "??" because it's the only thing not connected to anything.)

Does this mean my switch will work for what I'm asking, or does it have something to do with that wire falling off the push/pull tone? Keep in mind, I'm getting rid of the tone knob.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Does this mean my switch will work for what I'm asking, or does it have something to do with that wire falling off the push/pull tone? Keep in mind, I'm getting rid of the tone knob.
I think it may have to do with the wiring, but im not too sure about the tone wiring there. If you're going to nix that whole assembly anyway and just keep the switch, I'm thinking you'll need a new switch, but you want might want to see if anyone else has some good ideas.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it may have to do with the wiring, but im not too sure about the tone wiring there. If you're going to nix that whole assembly anyway and just keep the switch, I'm thinking you'll need a new switch, but you want might want to see if anyone else has some good ideas.
Oh well, if it turns out I have to get another switch, I'll get another switch.

I appreciate the input! :yesway:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
If you're not planning on using the pickups at the same time, maybe something like this plus a killswitch and a phase switch or something would be a good option:

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're not planning on using the pickups at the same time, maybe something like this plus a killswitch and a phase switch or something would be a good option:
Hmm.. If I end up having to go with getting a new switch and whatnot, I would consider something like this.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

3 position on/off/on switch. Wire the pickups to the 2 terminals and the hot out to the common. In each outer position it will connect a pickup to the centre, in the centre position it doesn't send either pickup to the hot out.

This kinda thing however you can also get them in a large toggle format closer to a gibson style switch. I use them on guitars for coil tap switches as I hate little toggles.

·
Pinnacle to the Pit
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

3 position on/off/on switch. Wire the pickups to the 2 terminals and the hot out to the common. In each outer position it will connect a pickup to the centre, in the centre position it doesn't send either pickup to the hot out.

This kinda thing however you can also get them in a large toggle format closer to a gibson style switch. I use them on guitars for coil tap switches as I hate little toggles.

Yeah, I hate those little toggles too. I'd rather buy another active pickup for the neck than buy one of those. :lol:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah, I hate those little toggles too. I'd rather buy another active pickup for the neck than buy one of those. :lol:
Then buy a large toggle version. Like the ones on a fender lead series.

I get them from Element 14 for about $15 each.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts