Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got tired of waiting for the 5-way buss to come in for my Strat, and I play my Xtone more anyway, so I just put the 57/66 I got into the LTD. It was totally worth not screwing the 5-way buss + soldering the pickups, because the solderless install is so clean and amazing and totally reversible. Grainy cell phone pics in 3... 2... 1...

Longwinded review in 3... 2... 1...

They smoke. Possibly my favourite pickups to date. I don't know if the "best of both worlds between active and passive" is the best way to describe them, but it's definitely a lot of upsides from each park. Maybe "a" best of both worlds.

They're loudish but not overly hot sounding. The bridge is pretty neutral and a little tight and juicy - nothing special, so to speak, but that's exactly what I look for in a bridge pickup. Something on the neutral side so I can shape my tone without having to compensate for an extreme in the pickup. My favourite bridge pickup before was either the D Activator or Duncan Distortion, and this sounds like those mixed with a Les Paul - a little more open, juicier, and fatter yet as tight or tighter.

The neck pickup is what blew me away. It's loud and juicy, but super clean. I pretty much only use neck humbucker for cleans, and this is by far my favourite clean tone aside from a P90. It doesn't sound like an active (some dirt maybe gives it away, but that's it), but it sounds better than any passive humbucker I've played. Perfect jazz tone - it has the note definition and balance of an EMG, but it's juicy and somehow warm yet bright like a passive.

My only complaint, if I had to pick one, is about the pickups as a set: The neck seems a bit louder and bigger than the bridge. This is just a personal preference of mine, I normally like a more high-mid, snappy neck pickup, so when I switch pickups on the same tone, you don't go from good tone to boomy neck pickup, or good tone to tinny bridge pickup. Basically what an 81 bridge/85 neck combo does. Thankfully, this only does it a bit, not nearly as bad as the 81/85, and not nearly bad enough for me to actually complain :yesway:

TL;DR: Buy these pickups if you're interested in them, I quite like them.

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I forgot. Interesting fact: the brushed chrome look actually has some kind of clear coat on it or something. I was bummed when I opened the boxes because the neck pickup was scratched, but just tonight I rubbed it with my finger and it came right off. Because I'm a ham-fisted Cro-Magnon I scratched the pickup with the screwdriver trying to get it in the ring, and that rubbed off, too. No complaints here :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:bump:

Actually thinking about a set of these. Do you still like them?

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:bump:

Actually thinking about a set of these. Do you still like them?
Sorry man, I just noticed this now. :lol:

I do. I feel pretty much the same as I do, maybe just a bit less so. There's something about the feel of EMGs that I love, even if I don't always prefer the tone. These have the same fast response, but there's a lot more depth to the tones you can get out of them, and way more dynamics.

My only complaint is that they're a little on the loud side. I don't want to say hot, because they stay clean, but they're noticeably louder, and any mistake you make is that much more obvious. :lol:

I haven't been playing guitar as much lately, so I haven't been sinking any money into it, but I could put these pickups in pretty much any new six string I get and be happy. I like more medium or low output pickups, like P90s and hot-rodded PAFs, and these seem to have that tone, just bigger, louder, and with faster response.

5-way bus? So these are splittable?
I originally planned on putting these in my Strat with an SA-X in the middle, and the 5-way was for that. I ended up having a ton of problems with the Strat, though, so I left the pickups in my Xtone and plan on keeping them there.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Awesome. I totally impulse bought some last night :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts