Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

:lol:

I'm stating the facts. This was piss poor. I dont give a shit if you think he is a Rock God. Truth is the Honky Tonk man should have come on stage and wrapped that guitar round his head.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Related vids: Maynard's comments in this video are awesome. :lol: :lol:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Adam is really my guitar idol, but hes better in a band situation. That being said, i dont get the hate on this. It wasnt great, but it wasnt horrible.

More troubling - Why the fuck was he at a WWE event?:lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not intentionally trying to hate on it, I'm just calling it as I see it. He did a lousy job. :\

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Am I alone in thinking it was a strange choice of guitarist? :scratch:

Tool aren't doing anything right now, they haven't released anything for a few years, they're not touring (that I know of)...actually, maybe that was why they got Jones. He was the only guy not doing anything :lol:

And yeah, I hate that over-playing nonsense as well.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I don't get why people like Tool.

Seriously.

They sound like a slightly more progressive System of A Down? Could someone link me one song that showcases the supposed brilliance so many rave about?

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Rogueleader said:
I don't get why people like Tool.

Seriously.

They sound like a slightly more progressive System of A Down? Could someone link me one song that showcases the supposed brilliance so many rave about?
"Right In Two" is their most dynamic song, IMHO. "Ticks and Leeches" probably their heaviest. Also "Jambi", "Lateralus" and "46&2".

You may still not like it, but it'll show some more variety. "The Pot" is one of their simplest songs and sounds a lot like their earliest stuff, which basically helped create nu-metal in the mid-90s.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I like Tool, and Jones is a brilliant musician, but this sucks. I don't like it with the "divas" over-vibrato the shit out of it, and I don't like it when guitarists embellish it like this either. Play the fucking song correctly.
It seems that everytime a rock guitar is combined with the National Anthem, the performer tries to recreate the Hendrix "bombs bursting in air" section & "meedly meedlys" their asses off. With that in mind, I think this version is pretty straight forward & a nice change of pace.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am I alone in thinking it was a strange choice of guitarist? :scratch:

Tool aren't doing anything right now, they haven't released anything for a few years, they're not touring (that I know of)...actually, maybe that was why they got Jones. He was the only guy not doing anything :lol:
Honestly, every guitarist as a kid dreams of belting out the national anthem (or your country's song, since I doubt our non-USA members have that dream) at a huge venue and ripping it up. I don't fault AJ at all for actually agreeing to do the performance, I know I sure as fuck would hop right up there and give it hell as well.

I just don't like his performance of it. Mistakes aside (and there were lots of them), you don't Tool-ify the NA just like you don't Christina-Aguilarify it. Belt it out, do it some justice, toss in some flourishes and respect the song itself.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This just sounds like nu metal to me? Do all their songs sound like this?
Oh, look, it's time for Garrett's nightly antagonism. :fawk:

Picking one tool song and saying "Listen to this!" is like trying to judge Pink Floyd by only hearing Another Brick in the Wall. You need to listen to the catalog, not just the "hits". They're amazing.

(Albeit, boring and pretentious the last two times I saw them live, because they played 3 songs I knew with 45 minutes of ambient weird noise and jamming inbetween :lol:)

·
18,790 Posts

Picking one tool song and saying "Listen to this!" is like trying to judge Pink Floyd by only hearing Another Brick in the Wall. You need to listen to the catalog, not just the "hits". They're amazing.

(Albeit, boring and pretentious the last two times I saw them live, because they played 3 songs I knew with 45 minutes of ambient weird noise and jamming inbetween :lol:)
Not sure what tour(s) you saw, since when I saw them on the 10,000 Days tour they played a really solid set covering all their albums (though they skipped "Sober").

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

So you agree that we can skip the 15 posts of intermittent arguing and just get straight to the point where I make a token reasonable statement like, "I guess tool isn't for me! I can dig you guys liking them though!" and we stop arguing even though in my heart of hearts I still believe tool is "progressive metal" for frat boys?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Honestly, every guitarist as a kid dreams of belting out the national anthem (or your country's song, since I doubt our non-USA members have that dream) at a huge venue and ripping it up.
Some of you guys had big dreams! My only dream was to use to make phallic motions with a guitar on stage while people were watching.

Any stage will do. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts

So you agree that we can skip the 15 posts of intermittent arguing and just get straight to the point where I make a token reasonable statement like, "I guess tool isn't for me! I can dig you guys liking them though!" and we stop arguing even though in my heart of hearts I still believe tool is "progressive metal" for frat boys?
See, you're missing the tone of the forum the last few days entirely. I'll have none of this reasonable discourse!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts