Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v always been intregued by his tone. Tool is my favorite band, and a huge part of it is the strange interactions between the bass and guitar. Very untraditional and you dont find a guitar player like adam too often. I was wondering what he used on his rig.
He always gets this soft, percussive type distortion, kinda fuzzed over, but absolutly perfect for what he does, then a second later, goes into a buzz saw in your face rocking tone, then back to a small, clean/crunchy tone for soft parts.

So in searching, i found this.
Adam Jones (Tool) guitar rig | Guitar FX Depot
It says that he mixes a dual recto and Marshall Super Bass at the same time and that he replaced the dual with a VH4:eek: I guess the percussiveness of his tone comes more from the Marshall or is it studio wizardry? I'v been trying to figure it out.
At the bottom it has a big pic of his pedal board and he apperently experiments with a little of everything.

Also found this
guitargeek | adam jones of tool
it says he runs all 3 amps at once.

I learned all the tool songs long ago, and was always able to just about perfectly pull off all the subtly and nuances. But i cant so much now with my new custom, but i suppose having a les paul(i used to) it made it easier. I found that to get alot of his parts spot on, he sets the volume and tone low on the neck pup, then switches down to it, or mixes the 2 for subtle parts which you cant really do on a 2 knob guitar(unless you get a push pull but it just isnt as easy). I still to this day, over 2 years later, totally miss my diamond knob configuration.

Anyway, i thought a thread on my personal guitar hero's tone would be cool. If anyone knows anything else, spit it out.;)

·
18,790 Posts
Definitely he uses 2 VH-4s (an old model and a new model) and the Super Bass all at the same time, and controls clean/gain with his volume control alone. When I saw them live, I could hear his amps being tested, not through the PA, from the back of the arena :lol: His tone is all straight out of the amps.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, he also doesn't use a TREMENDOUS amount of gain, which helps with the percussive nature.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Man, I just fucking love Adam's tone. I just saw them live a few months back, and while I spent the show in my favorite spot (right in front of the soundboard), I got their early to get up front and check out his rig.

He had the same Marshall Super Bass halfstack he has been dragging around for years. He had two Diezels--a VH4 and a Herbert--both run through Mesa oversized cabs. From what I could tell, the Marshall was always on, while his rhythm tones tended to be one Diezel or the other, sometimes both. Leads were also all three.

Adam is a volume knob warrior. Most of his slightly overdriven to heavy crunch sounds were all dependent upon dialing it in with his right hand.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely he uses 2 VH-4s (an old model and a new model) and the Super Bass all at the same time, and controls clean/gain with his volume control alone.
Adam is a volume knob warrior. Most of his slightly overdriven to heavy crunch sounds were all dependent upon dialing it in with his right hand.
Totally, i figured that out early on when i started trying to emulate him when Aniema came out. :yesway:

I cut my right hands pinky off 3/4 of the way about 3 years ago. It got sewed back on and i can feel with it a bit, but it feels like its always asleep. It really fucked up my ability to adjust the volume and tone knobs quickly anymore, and it really hurt me when playing tool songs. I had been thinking(more wishing:lol:) that i could make a pedal board that used the volume and tones with my feet

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Ouch. My tech tore up his left thumb on a table saw a few years back, severing one of the nerves. He can no longer feel the pad of his thumb, making it far too easy for him to death grip the neck. So, I know the kind of shit you are going through. Be thankful it is not effecting your ability to play the instrument. :(

Ernie Ball volume pedals are awesome, dude. They are "loaded" (with a string providing tension), so they don't move as easily as a wah, and they flat out stay put. For tone, I bet you could modify one of them by adding a capacitor, or get an old wah and go the same route (just use the pot and a capacitor, and skip the rest of the circuit).

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ernie Ball volume pedals are awesome, dude. They are "loaded" (with a string providing tension), so they don't move as easily as a wah, and they flat out stay put. For tone, I bet you could modify one of them by adding a capacitor, or get an old wah and go the same route (just use the pot and a capacitor, and skip the rest of the circuit).
Thats an excellent idea. Dont you get a different result from a volume pedal if you put it infront and in the loop too? I thought i heard one of you guys say that one was like turning the volume on the amp up and down, and in the other spot it was like turning up and down the volume know on the guitar.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yep. If you want it to act like the volume knob on your guitar, then make it the very first thing in the chain. If you put it in the loop, it is like turning the volume down on the preamp.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. If you want it to act like the volume knob on your guitar, then make it the very first thing in the chain. If you put it in the loop, it is like turning the volume down on the preamp.
Awesome, thanks man, i'm totally going to give this a try.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
+10000000000000 for EB volume pedals. I wouldn't even consider anything else.

...And you are totally correct, Adam's tone (and playing!) is fascinating. I love guys who manage to craft an original style with a totally unorthodox rig. Mike Stern, Criss Oliva and Ty Tabor are similar examples.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts