Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Adobe 7 Pro for a while now. I'm typically compiling some reports that are 40-50 pages, and they're never really over 5 megs.

I downloaded a trial of Adobe X Pro (the newest version) and while it seems to work pretty good, it is drastically increasing the size of my files.

I've ditched the trail and gone back to the 7 Pro, and I'm still having the "big file" problem. I wouldn't mind a few megs here or there, but it's now making what used to be a 5 or so meg file now 25 megs, and those aren't really convenient. This is even after "reducing file size to Acrobat 7.0" compatibility when using X Pro.

I've tried just using Cute PDF, and compiling with Pro, but the best I can do is get it down to about 17 megs.

I have no idea what is going on... Are all of the "new" security features and add-ons blowing these files up?
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I'm noticing something here...

If I use the PDF button in a program, it creates the pdf, but makes it very large. If I go to "File - Print - Adobe PDF" it creates the pdf, but the file size is reduced by a magnitude 5.

And what's 25/5? Yup, 5.

So I tried to dig through the preferences and settings to see why the "button" is creating the pdf so differently than just the simple "File - Print - Adobe" but I haven't come up with anything yet...
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something is still not jiving...

The amount of data I am adding into Pro to compile (that has already been pdf'ed) is coming up to 5,160 kb. The smallest I'm getting the file is 16.0 megs. I'd love to know about this mysterious 11 meg.
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really notice anything visually different from the outcomes. I'm doing pretty much everything the same way I did pre Acrobat X Pro.

It does look like the larger pdf is bookmarked for every single page, which was not the case with the last few, and it is definitely something I don't need. I'm sure that may have something to do with it. My problem is I am visual, and I'm not good at relating a lot of hidden menu items into productive or useful tools, so this could take quite a while!
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something fishy is going on, and it apparently has to do with Adobe Content Streams.

Look at the difference. Here's the current one:



A previous one:



Well, the bookmarks are apparently a little bit of a problem, but not nearly as much as this "Content Stream" mechanism.
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So after adding EVERY SINGLE PAGE MANUALLY, I got it down to almost 9 megs.

What a pain in the ass. I've reduced the "Content Streams" significantly, but I have no idea of what is going on now...

 

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
Joined
·
14,796 Posts
By any chance, are the pages you're adding made up of multiple columns of text? (e.g. formatted like a magazine or newspaper layout)

My thinking is that if they are, newer versions of Acrobat are better at preserving this content and structure information, so if you copy and paste text, it follows the correct columns, rather than just reading text in horizontal rows across the width of the entire page.

Also, what happens if you print to a PostScript file and use Acrobat Distiller to convert the PDF? I've read that this can reduce or eliminate most of the structure and content stream info, at the expense of making the text more awkward to copy and paste.

Try doing a text selection on your older, smaller PDFs and comparing it to how the text selects on one of the newer ones.
 

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
Joined
·
15,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, not really anything with columns. Mainly images, graphs, things like that. The pages I think may be causing the problem are of a graphing format that may be imbedding a bunch of search optimization characteristics when I compile the whole document at once.

The weird thing is, I didn't have this problem before the trial of Acrobat X Pro, but now I am, and I'm trying to figure out how some weird setting might have carried over...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top