Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so, a couple random questions about using banner ads (mainly ads by Google) to earn a bit of money through a webpage.

-How worth it are ads by Google? How much do you make?

-Is it tacky/wrong to put ads on a band website?

I haven't pitched this idea to the band yet, but it's something I've been wondering about for a bit. Yeah, it seems like a "sell out" move by the old standards, but these days the music business is operating on a completely different model. We have our EP up for free download, and it has gotten us not only far more traffic on all pages (homepage, myspace, youtube, facebook, twitter), but it's actually helped us sell a bunch more merch, and even CDs. What I was thinking was, would it be reasonable to put some ads on the page so that we can still make some cash from those free downloads (and has a double benefit of giving us some idea of how much traffic we're getting)? I should have thought of this before we put up the EP for free download since we had a big wave of traffic when it first went up :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
So long as they aren't popups and there aren't like 9 million banner ads all over the page I think its fine to have a few of them :shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You aren't going to make fuck all on a band webpage, it's nowhere near worth it.

There's a LOT more to making money from adsene than just slapping up some ads and hoping people click them. Shitloads more. 3 ads on the front of ss.org in the wrong spots would do 25 cents a day, as opposed to a buck in slightly different positions. I made a couple hundred a month over there, but that was with TONS of traffic and oodles of trial and error to get them maximized in terms of placement, relevance, etc. Figuring out Google's metrics for how ads pay is impossible, it's really just lots and lots of patience and constant fiddling.

If your band page gets 100,000 UNIQUE visitors a month, you'd be VERY lucky to get five bucks. You also can't run them on myspace.

Your best bet if you really want to go with ads is to use a straight commission service with eBay links, or commission junction if you qualify, but it's tough to get in there - I didn't get approved for any real vendors until ss.org was doing upwards of 30 million a month.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Chris is wise
Adsense is the most convoluted POS to administer. Plus you end up with ads that are not even relevant and you have to constantly fuss with them.

You really need metric shit tons of traffic to even make it worthwhile. My clients that use banner ads actually just sell the space themselves. Its a lot less hassle. (one of my sites averages 43k visitors per day and they just sell their own ads...)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Adsense is the most convoluted POS to administer. Plus you end up with ads that are not even relevant and you have to constantly fuss with them.
Exactly. Like I'd have two blocks top center, they'd make like 30 cents a day apiece. I put an image between them that's 80 pixels wide, they go up to two bucks. Make the image wider, down to a dime. WTF? :lol:

Josh and I spent so much fuckin' time between ss.org, club3g.com and nestreetriders.com fidding with different layouts, I wanted to hang myself at times. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
If you do want to track your hits/visits though, analytics is free and works fucking awesome. :yesway:

Google Analytics | Official Website
analytics kind of sucks when combined with adwords. I typically just have 1 analytics account and add all of my sites to it but for anything that I want to track with adsense i have to make a new account....its a PITA and you end up with a crapton of passwords for all of your different analytics reports.

but if your not running an adsense campaign it is pretty awesome. Its pretty easy to set up. Just sign up and put the tracking code in your pages (i use a include file for my footers and put it in there-if you have a lot of pages this is the easiest way to implement stuff like this...)

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Exactly. Like I'd have two blocks top center, they'd make like 30 cents a day apiece. I put an image between them that's 80 pixels wide, they go up to two bucks. Make the image wider, down to a dime. WTF? :lol:

Josh and I spent so much fuckin' time between ss.org, club3g.com and nestreetriders.com fidding with different layouts, I wanted to hang myself at times. :lol:
lol lots of A/b testing (optimization) yeah Ive had lots of playtime with that mess. its very strange how little things can effect clicks.

I always use this when people mention having banner ads.

How often have you ever clicked on a banner ad? I can probably go 2 months between clicks...

·
Read Only
10 Posts
lol lots of A/b testing (optimization) yeah Ive had lots of playtime with that mess. its very strange how little things can effect clicks.

I always use this when people mention having banner ads.

How often have you ever clicked on a banner ad? I can probably go 2 months between clicks...
I think the last time I actually clicked one was accidentally trying to right click my own for Firebug when I was setting them up on ss.org 3 years ago. :lol:

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Well, I'm all signed up for Analytics, thanks for the tip :yesway: Wish I'd done this before we originally posted our EP so we could see how many downloads we had gotten. We'll see how it goes from here out.
awesome

one thing that is really cool is the map that comes with analytics. You can break hits down by state and city. THis might be nice for you guys since you can see if people are hitting your site after you play shows.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I think the last time I actually clicked one was accidentally trying to right click my own for Firebug when I was setting them up on ss.org 3 years ago. :lol:
LOL the last one I clicked was for The Worlds best Cat Litter :lol: I actually ended up picking up a bag at petsmart and it was pretty good stuff. Funny thing was this popped up on a gaming site and i dont look at cat stuff online (theres that relevance again :lol: ) so i didnt have any cat cookies on my browser

1 - 16 of 16 Posts