Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm replacing my Jackson Schaller floyd on my 89 Rhoads custom with a Schaller floyd (Stripped out the intonation set screw on a saddle on the Jackson branded Schaller).

I've upgraded the saddles to be Graph Tech String Saver saddles.

In doing some reading regarding saddles not going back far enough to get intonation correctly, I came across stuff referring to the trem posts leaning forward. Upon inspeciton, I've noticed that yes indeed, my trem posts are leaning forward :(

Now, this 'could' be expected on a guitar made in '89. However, I tried to remove the posts w/ a pair of vise grips (cloth covering the trem stud as to not damage it) and its not coming out. Actually, they're not loose or wobbly at all to be honest.

BTW, since most ppl ask this: 9-46s tuned 1/2 step down (d-Tuna on low E string, Tremol-no installed), 3 springs lined up straight across.

So... what's a safe way to pull out my trem posts to fix the lean, without damaging anything? :lol:

Also, any other advice anyone can give?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
When I pull trem studs, if I'm worried about hurting the finish, place a cloth over the body, unscrew the studs as far as possible while still being threaded in, use a 1/2" or so thick board as an anchor and use a claw hammer's nail puller to give leverage against the board which is resting on the cloth so as not to hurt the finish. Hammer will give a LOT more leverage than you'll get from vice grips.

You'll have to glue in wooden dowels and redrill the holes with a drill press to effectively get rid of the lean, otherwise you're wasting time.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... ok, good to know. Thanks :yesway:

Just thought of another possibility... What about shaving the very bottom of the back side of the saddles which need to go back farthest, to allow them to go back further? I'm thinking shaving it at a 45 degree angle would allow it to go back closer to the angled back part of the trem.... ?

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
FWIW, I bought a Graph Tech LB63 bridge, which is their Floyd with their ghost saddles built in.

I put in an Ibanez Xiphos, and the Low E and A will not intonate because the saddles can't move back far enough.

I understand that your trem posts are leaning forward, but my question is, did your old trem intonate with the trem posts forward? If so, prehaps you should just remove some material from the graph tech saddles to give them the extra little travel room they need.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, on the old trem, the low E didn't intonate 'perfectly' but came close enough. It was also harder to make it work well cuz of the d-Tuna, as it lowers the saddle's angle since it takes up space under the fine tuner, so that limited the availability for it to go back even further.

Yeah, the trem posts aren't leaning THAT far forward, just slightly is all. And since they're not loose really, I'm thinking that fucking with that could be more problematic than necessary. Shaving the back of the saddles is looking like the way I might go.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Umm... great advice? :rant: Dude, its not intonating just fine, that's why I made this thread.
:lol: I misread then. I thought you hadn't tried it yet. Cannibal Corpse does this on their Floyds, but they are in like Ab. If you are absolutely set on not changing guages grind away. If you didn't have the pull up route I would say switch to an OFR, which is 1/16th of an inch farther back than the schaller.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Honestly... take it to a pro. That's a super rare guitar, and I don't think you want to F it up yourself.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
^ :agreed:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me to grind off the back edge of the saddles when you have an underlying problem with the posts leaning (which could be affecting your overall tuning stability and trem function).

You should first have the main problem corrected professionally with oversized maple plugs, preferably not dowels. With dowels, you'll be screwing the posts into end grain which is not as stable and will be more prone to cracking down the road.

If you still can't get the bottom string intonated properly, THEN grind off the back edge of that saddle only.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yeah, that definitely sounds like a problem for a pro :yesway:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honestly... take it to a pro. That's a super rare guitar, and I don't think you want to F it up yourself.
shit... :( I don't have the money for what it'd prolly cost me. I'm off tomorrow, maybe I'll go up and see the guy and talk to him and see what he says :confused:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Well.... it would be better to leave the guitar sitting unplayed until you can do it right than to really fuck it up. :2c:

I had a leaning post on my Jackson LTD'88. It cracked the whole body and the guitar is unusable.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn't make sense to me to grind off the back edge of the saddles when you have an underlying problem with the posts leaning (which could be affecting your overall tuning stability and trem function).

You should first have the main problem corrected professionally with oversized maple plugs, preferably not dowels. With dowels, you'll be screwing the posts into end grain which is not as stable and will be more prone to cracking down the road.

If you still can't get the bottom string intonated properly, THEN grind off the back edge of that saddle only.
Actually, at least with the old trem, it was very stable. Probably one of my most stably (is this even a word?) tuned guitars. I'll post a picture of the posts and you guys can tell me if you think it's leaning too much, that I should focus on the posts. Cuz it really doesn't look like its leaning all that much... I could be a hypochondriac with it, and assuming its a problem when its not.

BTW, the Graph Tech saddles are kinda different than the original saddles, in the sense that the originals had kinda a forked "U" look to the opening where the intonation set screw would go into, whereas the GT's have a "0" shape, which also prevents the saddle from going back further.... fwiw.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Rip the post out, refinish the guitar black, toss in a handle, insert Edge trem, profit. :yesway:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I put the two lowest string saddles back on quickly, and strung it up to take these pics (the bridge isn't fully level, so pay no attention to that, it is when tuned to pitch)

Do you guys think these posts are leaning enough to make a difference and need to be repaired? I've never dealth with leaning posts before :(

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That's not even 1/16" of lean by the looks of it, that's nothing. It doesn't even look like it's caused by the inserts shifting, it looks like it's just caused by the small amount of slack that is necessary in the insert for the post to thread...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts