·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

I need advice on modifying my guitar to Dropped A# and found this forum,
hopefully you guys can help me.

I recently bought a Gibson SG standard, and I play in Dropped A#
I use 58-14 strings, and i'm having a lot of trouble with my lowest string, the 58.
I'm experiencing intense oscillation when i strum the string, sometimes going as sharp as B before coming back down to A# a few seconds later. The other strings seem to be fine.

I've ordered Sperzel Locking tuners and a thicker Graphite nut.
Has anyone else here experienced this problem and know how to sort it out?
also I'm thinking about sending it to a repair shop and changing the stop bar bridge into a string through setup, i've read that stop bar bridges simply can't maintain the tension needed for the low tuning (not sure if this is true or not)

if you could help me out, would be a lifesaver!

thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep done that,
all the other strings are perfect, they stay in tune fine.
it's just that lowest string that is being an absolute pain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Might need a thicker string for that note at that scale length. Or pick lighter. Pretty much your only two options.
Ah okay, I did try a 60 at one point while i was at the service place.
and it made a MINOR difference, better but still being a pain.

It was a bass string, for the record i live in Dubai in the UAE and the service guys here i really don't have faith in, they're fine for a setup but i don't trust their knowledge outside of setting up guitars, hence why i'm online.

Do you think it's purely a gauge problem? are the locking tuners and the nut a good idea?

·
18,790 Posts
The locking tuners and nut are definitely a solid upgrade that I recommend for any guitar. They'll help. But, to be honest, to tune down to B or A on a 25.5"-scale guitar I tend to favour a 66, so I'd probably go with a 68 or 70 on that guitar, personally, but then that's light by some peoples standards and really heavy by other peoples standards. You just have to find what works for you for feel and sound.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I think it's a gauge problem. "Stop-tail" tailpieces not being able to "handle" low tunings is bullshit.

All strings rise and then fall in pitch a little bit as a result of being shortened while they're being picked. Pick VERY lightly. You should note that the string stays much better in tune. The harder you pick, the stronger it will fly out of tune.

I wouldn't use a bass string. I do not know where you purchase your strings, but at least around here, single guitar strings of 60-70 and greater gauge are available. I use a 64 for A#/Bb at a 25.5" scale (slightly more tension than your 24.75") and it still goes out of tune a little much for my liking. But then, I am picking fairly hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it's a gauge problem. "Stop-tail" tailpieces not being able to "handle" low tunings is bullshit.

All strings rise and then fall in pitch a little bit as a result of being shortened while they're being picked. Pick VERY lightly. You should note that the string stays much better in tune. The harder you pick, the stronger it will fly out of tune.

I wouldn't use a bass string. I do not know where you purchase your strings, but at least around here, single guitar strings of 60-70 and greater gauge are available. I use a 64 for A#/Bb at a 25.5" scale (slightly more tension than your 24.75") and it still goes out of tune a little much for my liking. But then, I am picking fairly hard.
Exactly the kind of answer i was looking for.

like I said living here u don't have the string options that you would back in the states or the UK, the thickest guitar strings the guitar shops have, and the once i have on right now, are the ernie ball 7-string power slinkys.

do you have any string recommendations (brand etc.)? best thing to do would be to order a box online and get it shipped over here.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Have you tried using a thicker gauge string? The SG will be 24.75" scale, I used to use a 64 in A at 25.5" and that still sounded the same as you describe! Try maybe a 64 or 66 on there, since you're in A#. I don't think you'll need to change the bridge at all. Also, look into baritone strings! Namely D'Addario! On my 7's, I've went from a standard 10-46 with a 62, to baritone 13-62, with a 10, exactly the same string gauges, but alot more tension! Hope this helps! Also :welcome:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jorge, try to find single strings instead of sets. Might make your life easier.

Does Musicians Friend, etc. ship to the UAE?
I'm not sure they say they ship to australia and canada, but doesn't say anything about other countries. however the guitar shop i usually get my strings from are the ernie ball dealers, i might get them to ship over some of the 64 gauge strings that come with the "8string power slinkys" i'm quite comfortable with the other 5 strings at the gauge i'm at now, just need a beast piece of metal on the bottom.

will check with them when i pop over in the next few days.

While we're here, do you guys have experience with Graphite nuts? and how do Nuts affect the tension of the strings. Been playing guitar a long time, but i'm quite new to all this in depth stuff. is the Graphite nut the best option? or is there a better material? and if you guys know brands or websites that would be epic.

:)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If it's a good nut, it won't affect the tension at all. All the nut is supposed to do is keep the string from moving side-to-side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a .66 to be perfect for A at 25.5
Cool, will definitely pursue the thicker gauge route.
I'll order some of the D'addario bulk boxes of them :)
Also are there ANY other modifications i should look into?
or will the thicker gauge be enough?

thanks for your help guys,

you lot have been the only ones to actually make sense of this whole situation!

cheers :wub:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i think the gauge should cover you. at that short of a scale your gonna need something big

Hell, on my 25.5's a .60 is the lowest i go tuned to B

·
18,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
i dont really see the need for these uber thick strings. I get that having a standardised tension across all strings is favourable but if you look at bands that are out there playing in low tunings they dont use massive strings.

Im pretty sure the guys in Nile use a 60 for drop A tuning on deans which are also 24.75 like your SG.

Im also fairly certain that In flames who use drop A# are not using anything like a 60.

the same goes for mastodon. I actually watched bill keiler re tune his silverburst les paul from D standard to Agcfad on stage when i last saw them. I dont think there is any way in hell he was using a 60 or anything close to that as a low D!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts