Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, really digging these photography threads!

and i took a course in highschool... skipped a good chunk of the time, but i did take a handful of sweet shots!

I dont technically own a camera, and its something i've been wanting. not enough pics of friends, i'd like to get live show shots, and just pictures of cool stuff in general.

I dont know what the average $$ for a decent camera is, or what a decent one would be - what should I be looking at?

thanks!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
You could probably pick up a first-generation Canon Digital Rebel for not too much coin. It's not the most advanced camera (no RAW mode, for example) but it'll get you into the DSLR game for not too much. Lenses are the real killer anyway, and the body can always be upgraded later.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
I got my Nikon D60 off eBay for £353 and that came with a vibration reduction lens, a card reader, 4GB media card, the camera body, a tripod and a carry bag with lens cleaning kit.

You can get the Nikon D40 off Amazon for £240..ish, that's about $490 canadian.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Probably less, Martin, considering your price includes the ass-fucking you guys call VAT.

Um, novice question here - what exactly is RAW mode? I've heard it's one of the things tha's cool abotu DSLR's that non-SLR digital cameras can't do, but that's about it.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nothing more in the $200 bracket then, eh?

darren, i shall look into it. I'd just like to have a camera that doesnt make me go broke :lol: that takes some awesome pics like what's being posted here.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I don't think you're going to find a DSLR in the $200 range. But if you weren't spending $300 on ink, you'd have more funds available for other stuff. ;)

RAW mode is basically the raw output from the CCD, saved in an uncompressed data format (contrary to popular belief, there is no single ".raw" file format... it varies from one manufacturer to the next). You have to make sure your white balance is right when shooting in RAW mode, or you'll get disastrous results, but most pro photographers start with RAW images and do all their colour-correction, cropping, editing, etc. in post-production, using the most image data possible, then save down to whatever other file formats as needed. Not every camera or digital photo app supports RAW images.

Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
Probably less, Martin, considering your price includes the ass-fucking you guys call VAT.
Ah yes that's very true, didn't take that into consideration. Cheers :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, would $300 get me a decent one?

I'd like to go used to save the $$, and still get a good working camera.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hm.

I see how it is.

*looks at the calendar to see how close it is to december* My parents would be rather confused at me asking for extra funds to buy a DSLR for christmas :lol:

·
EFILNIKUFESIN
1,657 Posts
Well I was in the same boat ,and would say jump on a cheap DSLR if
a)You have some lenses from the past (like sony/minolta) or be happy with the kit lens and don't experiment.
b)You use it in the ISO 100-200 range.

otherwise ,you have to pay a grand to have a middle class DSLR with a passable lens like a tamron etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.