Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew I was getting a Christmas bonus at work this week and had some money stashed aside to kick in towards an AxeFX. When we went out to our holiday lunch on Tuesday, my CFO handed me an envelope and said "You've made me look really good this year. You've earned this and thank you." I didn't open it immediately, but when I did I almost shit myself. It was enough to buy an AxeFX III and whichever footcontroller I wanted with some money to set aside.

I had to wait for the check to deposit into my account and while we were driving from Ft. Lauderdale to Ocala to see my sister and nephew yesterday, I kept checking my account. We pulled over to get some gas and I saw it was in, so right there at the pump I pulled out my iPad and ordered the bundle with the III and the FC-6. I was tempted to get the 12, but I thought about it for a little while before hand and stopped kidding myself, even with my most complicated presets with my other rigs, I've never utilized every footswitch on my Ground Control Pro. Now I can make a smaller pedalboard and have some money to put into the Mesa cabs I'm going to grab eventually.

When I'm done putting the rig together, it'll most likely be 2 Mesa 2x12's, a Matrix power amp, the Axe III, FC-6, Digitech Freqout and Whammy pedals, volume and a Fractal expression pedal.

I listened back to all the tunes I've recorded in the last 2 years and realized most could use some work as far as tones/mix goes as I've learned a lot along the way, so the first thing I'll be doing is re-recording all the guitar and bass tracks for about 10 songs. I can't wait to hear how these come out by the time I'm done.

This last year has been a fucking trip. The first 9 months were hellish with my asshole boss making my life miserable and planning my wedding. Once the wedding came, everything changed. The wedding was perfect, I replaced the asshole boss and everything has been on a steady incline ever since. Occasionally I have to stop myself from questioning why life is as good as it is. The answer is, I busted my ass to get it to this point and now it's all paying off.

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Congratz man! Gotta love those bonuses. When I earned my first one I splurged on a high end JVC projector and a 120" screen for the theater. :yesway:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, gents!

Generally I need more time in a day to get shit done or I just want the day to last longer because it's been a good day, but today went by so fucking slow it was excruciating. I keep checking the status of my order and it's been on Awaiting Shipment since this morning. Anyone know if this means Fractal is waiting on their stock get be delivered, or it's just waiting on them to actually throw it in a box and send it? They haven't charged me for it yet.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
I listened back to all the tunes I've recorded in the last 2 years and realized most could use some work as far as tones/mix goes as I've learned a lot along the way, so the first thing I'll be doing is re-recording all the guitar and bass tracks for about 10 songs. I can't wait to hear how these come out by the time I'm done.
I hope you recorded DI tracks so you could save time just reamping it :flex:

But anyway congratulations and have fun with Axe :yesway:

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:
Post up some before & afters. Would love to hear the difference. I've been thinking of doing the same since getting my Helix...

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
I keep checking the status of my order and it's been on Awaiting Shipment since this morning.
Man I HATE waiting on shipping notifications, bad enough when it was for work but awaiting gear arrival sucks!! Its like playing the shipping gambit game... when will it arrive, will it be ok, will it get beaten all the way here AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome man. I have been thinking of picking one up but can't decide between it and the kemper.
As superficial as this is, I hate the look of the Kemper enough to turn me away from it. I'm not sure how their customer support is, but Cliff from Fractal is regularly posting on their forum and has helped people troubleshoot issues ranging from basic stuff all the way up to getting distributors to help when they originally weren't. I really enjoy the community over there, a lot of people helping other people and lending ideas, tips, and presets. Kemper may have the same on their side, but they've been so off my radar I wouldn't know.

I hope you recorded DI tracks so you could save time just reamping it :flex:

But anyway congratulations and have fun with Axe :yesway:
Half of them were done with amp sims, so there's plenty of DI's. However, I know I play differently with amp sims and listening back...ugh, it's a world of difference between Thermionik/Amplitube songs and songs I tracked with an actual amp. I'm just going to consider all those songs demos and re-track everything. And when it comes to the bass parts, the Warwick I have sounds fucking AWESOME, so I definitely want to re-track all that stuff.

Post up some before & afters. Would love to hear the difference. I've been thinking of doing the same since getting my Helix...
Sure! I know it's going to be a world of difference. The amp sims weren't terrible, but require so much post-EQ and like I mentioned above, I had to play differently to get them to track right. Hard to explain, they don't have the same sag/weight, I suppose.

Man I HATE waiting on shipping notifications, bad enough when it was for work but awaiting gear arrival sucks!! Its like playing the shipping gambit game... when will it arrive, will it be ok, will it get beaten all the way here AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
It looks like Fractal took the week off. I'm praying they ship it out tomorrow. Figures I ordered it at the absolute worst time of the year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts