Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This has been my favorite band for the last 2-3 years, amazing live performance / amazing music / heaviest production i have ever heard.

Cannot wait for the new CD, any one else a huge fan?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Didnt like the music, didnt like the guys, and i'v been hearing a ton about this band and i'm not sure why :lol:

I like the guitars though

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My first exposure to these guys came when JJ and Abhorred invaded my domicile complaining about how awful Summer Slaughter was, and recommended that I listen to some "After the Breakdown" to get an idea.

I made it about a song and a half. :(

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Can't wait for this new album. Justin told me they're recording and producing it themselves then having someone mix it for them. Can't tell me who just yet.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet you Bulb is mixing it, that would be fucking sweet.

Any way, guys i think if you give this band a fair shake you will not be sorry (if you like Meshuggah type music),

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Dude, if tight guitar playing, amazing production, awesome songs and catchy riffs is horrible then ok :nuts:

:rofl:
Honostly, my MAIN problem with them is that its way too upbeat and frooty for me. I like me metal darker and more serious. Your perfectly welcome to love them, but i should be perfectly able to say that i dont :)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honostly, my MAIN problem with them is that its way too upbeat and frooty for me. I like me metal darker and more serious. Your perfectly welcome to love them, but i should be perfectly able to say that i dont :)
I'm just kidding around dude, of course we all have different taste.

They do have some really dark songs though, give this a listen; i want your honest opinion

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
I'm incredibly anxious to hear the follow up to their debut, esp after seeing this.

The only thing that killed the first album for me production wise was the kick drum was nothing but click. I cant even listen to it anymore because the kick is very distracting, kinda like early As I Lay Dying. I also could have done w/o a constant stream of cookie monster.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm incredibly anxious to hear the follow up to their debut, esp after seeing this.

The only thing that killed the first album for me production wise was the kick drum was nothing but click. I cant even listen to it anymore because the kick is very distracting, kinda like early As I Lay Dying. I also could have done w/o a constant stream of cookie monster.
Have you heard the re-mixed/re-recorded version of Rareform with the new singer? Drums sound a lot better on it.

I took this video of their new song when my old band opened for them.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I listened to that clip. It was alot better than what i was hearing in the preproduction vids, but still, i found it to just be a bit bland. I agree with angel on the bass drum to be annoying, and overall it just wasnt my thing.
Would i listen to it instead of a bunch of other stuff? Definatly, but would i actually listen to that on my own? No, i sounds kinda like a core clone band, but again, thats just my opinion.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Have you heard the re-mixed/re-recorded version of Rareform with the new singer? Drums sound a lot better on it.

I took this video of their new song when my old band opened for them.
YouTube - After The Burial - My Frailty (Live at London Music Hall)
Ya know I've heard bits and pieces of it but I never got around to hearing it from beginning to end. Does seem like they address both of my issues with it tho! :metal:

I listened to that clip. It was alot better than what i was hearing in the preproduction vids, but still, i found it to just be a bit bland. I agree with angel on the bass drum to be annoying, and overall it just wasnt my thing.
Would i listen to it instead of a bunch of other stuff? Definatly, but would i actually listen to that on my own? No, i sounds kinda like a core clone band, but again, thats just my opinion.
Eh, at the end of the day that is what they are... Another deathcore band along with the Meshuggah's, Within The Ruins, Veil of Maya's, Periph's etc etc. But hey, if you dig that genre, (which I do) what can be better than an endless amount of modified clones? :D

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be so much more awesome if it either had a real singer or no singer at all.
Their singer is really great (IMO), he might not be every ones "flavor"; but he adds a lot of energy to the music, and the timbre and aggression of his growls really puts the music into overdrive. The first time i saw After the Burial live it was like no other band i had ever seen in any genre of music, the whole venue went insane (from the back to the front of the venue with about 1000+ people present), there wasn't any one standing around just watching, literally every one was moving to the grove (really similar to when i saw Meshuggah play a few months ago) amazing energy to say the least, and the front man has a lot to do with it.

Here is a video of what a typical After the Burial show is like (old front man in this video, also back in the days when they used 7's)

As some one who never really digged too many Death Core or Metal Core bands they really hit a spot with me, i never saw an audience really engage so much with a band live, and when i got their CD i almost wanted not to like it because the style of music as i though before was very "superficial", I have changed my mind since.

Of course its not for every one, but as some one who has a wide taste in music (every thing from Jazz Fusion - Classical - Prog Metal) i can easily and proudly say they have been my favorite band for the last few years.

As a side note:

If you want to check out a band similar to After the Burial with a "clean" singer (similar to Geoff Tate) , check out Zero Hour

(for the bass players out there)

(live video)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts