Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever managed to get one to sound good?

I'm currently trying to do this with a friends guitar.

Agile hornet.

I've tried various pickups in it none of which sounded amazing

EMG's
x2n
BKP Aftermath
BKP Miracle Man - this one probably sounded the best but sounded muffled in it

Is there a magic bullet kinda pickup for these guitars or shall i tell him to just burn it?

Everything i've put in has been very woofy in the lows and generally lacked clarity.

it's quite a shame as its a nice looking guitar (DV8 rip off) and plays really well

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
a lot of that depends on the amp. I find that EMGs generally sound pretty good in anything.

you also have to remember that the quality of the string contact hardware is going to matter. a cheap chinese/indo-made TOM isn't going to sound anywhere as nice as a tonepros, gotoh, schaller, etc. a good hardened steel bridge is going to brighten up the sound a lot and give it a lot more snap. It's very similar to what happens when you swap a cheapo LFR for an OFR.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I had my old Bronze series warlock and it sounded ok to me. With the stock BDSM pickups :lol: But Like ^ they said if the amp is a shitty up then that could be the big part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Chris and I both have early 90s Ibanez EX guitars, which were mainly Agathis bodies. Mine sounds like God's wrath on mankind with a BS Trembucker in the bridge. Huge sounding 6er. The guitar is also physically heavier than all of my guitars and my bass. It's a dense piece of wood that's for sure.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Chris and I both have early 90s Ibanez EX guitars, which were mainly Agathis bodies. Mine sounds like God's wrath on mankind with a BS Trembucker in the bridge. Huge sounding 6er. The guitar is also physically heavier than all of my guitars and my bass. It's a dense piece of wood that's for sure.
Really? mine is a '91, and made out of basswood.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Really? mine is a '91, and made out of basswood.
You know what, I'll take it back, it appears my memory is failing me. I remembered the EX guitars being advertised as either plywood or agathis in early Ibanez catalogs, but now that I'm looking at the catalogs for 1991 and 1992, you're right all it says for our guitars is basswood. So I stand corrected :agreed:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
This pickup intrigues me. Is the tone full of it?
It's the rhythm guitar I used on that new song I showed you about a month ago. It's a big thick sounding pickup with lots of mids. Great with a rectifier and can add meat to a Marshall sound, but I honestly prefer the JB in mahogany for a wider range of sounds. The trembucker is great in the EX guitar though, it was my first pickup upgrade ever back in the mid 90s and I've never changed it out so I guess that says something.

And if anyone's full of it, it's you Eric ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.