Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Very interesting. I wish they'd do one with an Indian Rosewood fretboard, since 99% of guitarists aren't going to have access to the Brazilian stuff.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The swamp ash seemed less compressed but also seemed to scream more in the upper mids. Rosewood definitely seemed to have a softer attack, but also more even note voicing somehow... not sure how to put that into words. A slightly softer, more cohesive sound.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The swamp ash seemed less compressed but also seemed to scream more in the upper mids. Rosewood definitely seemed to have a softer attack, but also more even note voicing somehow... not sure how to put that into words. A slightly softer, more cohesive sound.
Dave put it as "having a brighter top end but a more clouded midrange", which is about right, I think.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Maybe there's something to that about picking woods that complement each other, rather than choosing woods to try to tame others' characteristics.

Well, my swamp ash body, maple-neck-through, stainless-fret, Kahler-equipped 8-string is too bright, so I'll pick rosewood for the fretboard instead of ebony! :shrug:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Maple and ash is my favorite wood combination and these clips just reinforced my opinion. It was cool that Pete took the time to do these comparisons and void his Suhr warranty so we could all hear the difference.

I'm with Dave I think Indian rosewood have been a more interesting comparison because of how common it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.