·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
"Life-O-Sound?"

I wonder how long it'll take for John Hall to chase that one down :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks his PRS -> Hughes & Kettner rig is the worst tone he has ever had?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks his PRS -> Hughes & Kettner rig is the worst tone he has ever had?
You sir, are not alone on this.....

But no matter how shitty his tone was during that phase...I sure do enjoy his playing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That phase? He's STILL playing those god-awful sounding TriAmps.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think it's funny, as Alex's tone got worse, Geddy's got better. That wall of Orange sounds amazing, although it's sad he's not touring with washing machines or rotisseries behind him anymore :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Alex has been back at Gibson for a while now. I love the specs on his guitar, and $6k is the list price... it'll probably be between $3k and $4k street.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Or you could just get a les paul axcess which is basically the same guitar minus the signature and all the extra electronics.

Alex has been back at Gibson for a while now. I love the specs on his guitar, and $6k is the list price... it'll probably be between $3k and $4k street.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Alex's best tone was in the late '70s and early '80s when he mostly played his trusty ES-355, with a little Strat thrown in for good measure. I think he was still using Marshalls back then. On the other hand, 2112 was mostly recorded on Les Pauls, and that's some great guitar tone on that album.

In the studio, I'm sure he uses a whole bunch of different amps. I haven't seen him play live since 1997, so I don't really know what he sounds like in concert anymore.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alex's best tone was in the late '70s and early '80s when he mostly played his trusty ES-355, with a little Strat thrown in for good measure. I think he was still using Marshalls back then. On the other hand, 2112 was mostly recorded on Les Pauls, and that's some great guitar tone on that album.

In the studio, I'm sure he uses a whole bunch of different amps. I haven't seen him play live since 1997, so I don't really know what he sounds like in concert anymore.
I actually liked a lot of the 'Sportscaster' tones as well...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I actually liked a lot of the 'Sportscaster' tones as well...
:agreed:

Whatever you want to say about Grace Under Pressure, it did have some good guitar tones. That's mostly Marshalls, though I think the clean tones may have recorded with Gallien-Kruegers. I happen to like that album quite a bit. His tone thinned out a lot after that when he went to the Performance superstrats, though some of that may have been a production choice in the studio.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Oh wow, I actually am really digging that guitar.

There may be a slim chance I get one. I really like this one:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts