Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's always a good day when one of my favorite guitarists is getting some well deserved recognition. Knowing the quality of instruments coming out of Heritage's factory. This is definitely something I'm looking forward to checking out.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Heritage Les Pauls > Gibson Les Pauls

This should be a great guitar.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wait... a Mode 4? Holy crap, I didn't know anyone other than System of a Down and John-5 used that thing!

And he is right... the newer Buddas are being built by Peavey USA as Budda couldn't keep up with demand otherwise. Same parts and same spec though, and god I hope the same level of QC.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
I suspect he is a little stoned knowing Alex (Only met him once though) and the fact that he is also a Jazz guy. I just bid on that Mode 4 on Ebay, and I sure as hell will be buying his sig Heritage.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I didn't know he'd actually inked the deal with Heritage. It's been in the works for quite awhile, supposedly. Heritage doesn't really do paid endorsements, and money was apparently the holdup on this.

I was going to post a NGD thread about it, but I suppose this is as good a place as any to show off my newly acquired Heritage H-150. This is a pic the seller on eBay took. I haven't had a chance to take any decent pics of my own yet (I'll get around to it). But suffice it to say that this guitar eats Gibsons for breakfast.

And here's a pic of my little Heritage clan:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Alex could make a Squire into a Crate sound awesome. That guy has magic hands.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Jesus, Chris, that thing is my dream LP! :holy:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Jesus, Chris, that thing is my dream LP! :holy:
When I saw it on eBay, I was pretty much powerless to resist. :lol:

It's way different than my H-157 Black Beauty. The 157, as you know, is ultra heavy (almost like a Norlin guitar) and has a lot of top-end bite. The flamey 150, by constrast, weighs only about 9 lbs. and sounds more like Gary Moore than John Sykes.

Damn, Chris, you're killing me, here. :lol:
Oh, I'm going to be selling some stuff... :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Damn dude, that's gorgeous.

If you don't mind my asking, how much does something like that cost?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Damn dude, that's gorgeous.

If you don't mind my asking, how much does something like that cost?
I paid $1,600, which is pretty much top-dollar for a used Heritage H-150. This one is a limited edition and has that crazy top, so it commanded a little more. You can get a regular H-150 used for anywhere between $900-1300, depending on features. Heritage accepts custom orders, so there tends to be some variation in prices as a result. H-150s from the late '80s and early '90s usually had Schaller pickups and roller bridges, and those often go for under $1,000--easily the best deal to be had on Les Pauls, if you don't mind upgrading the pickups and hardware.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
^ That's the crazy thing - you get a killer USA instrument for what a frickin' Ephiphone costs!
I don't understand it, either. People go nuts over those Edwards LP knockoffs, but those will run you $1,000 once you include shipping from Japan. Heritage has increased their prices on new guitars a fair bit in recent years, so that you can't get a new H-150 for under $2,000. The used market for them is still quite reasonable, though. And even $2,000 is a steal when compared to what Gibson will charge you for a Historic, which is the only way you can get a non-chambered 'real' LP from them anymore. You're talking at least $3,500-4,000.

Heritage's biggest problems in selling their Les Pauls has been their lack of marketing and the brand snobbery that a lot of Les Paul players seem to have. The Japanese knockoffs are popular because they have the Gibson headstock, even though Heritages are built in the historic Gibson factory by guys who actually built all those '50s and '60s Gibsons. In that way, they're more Gibson than Gibson, these days.

Hopefully, Heritage can get some good publicity by having Skolnick on board. Most of Heritage's other endorsers aren't very well known or are old-school jazz guys like Kenny Burrell. I can't imagine playing with those humongous strings that Skolnick uses, though. I think my hands would last about five minutes on those... :lol:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts