Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

This band was actually found by pin, one of sikth's guitar players.

I know there's alot of shit around in the math metal scene lately,
but this stuff is pure win.

Sikth fans are going to die on this, so check it out!

http://www.facebook.com/aliasesband?v=app_2405167945#!/aliasesband?ref=ts

And before you ask, pin isnt paying me for this, I'm not having any profit for this, I just want those guys to succeed as there arent many artists I still appreciate that much these days.

What do you think? Wicked right? I thought so (-:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Hmm.

I think I dig Sikth more (love that band) but this is... interesting. It's getting into that obnoxiously 'math/technical' area I don't really care for, but it's not quite totally there.

Not sure about this yet.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I've been waiting for shit from them for a good bit now. Can't wait to see what sorta shit Pin puts out, hopefully they'll get bigger and do some US touring. Digging what I'm hearing so far.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spread the word about these guys dudes, that's the only band that currently does tech metal like it should be.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Hm, i could like that. Never liked Sikth, because of the über-"cräzy"-vocals.
The über-"cräzy"-vocals are one of my favorite parts about Sikth. :lol: They were so incredibly unique and different--and I'm really into stuff like that.

Sikth ruled, so I have a feeling I can really get into this new band too.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
:lol: Well, its good that there are different tastes.

Seriously, i tried and tried and tried to like the vocals, or at least to get used to them , ...no chance. it always sounded like bad screamo mixed with Korn to me.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I still think nothing scratches this in the tech metal scene.
...really? I listened to it over and over, but I just can't find any of the fresh excitement that Sikth had. The riffs aren't as bafflingly off-the-wall as Sikth were, the vocals are one dimensional and boring, and the whole song doesn't really seem to go anywhere.

Sikth stuff was infinitely better than this.

·
Knives!
427 Posts
I'll wait till they bring out the rest of the album but right now I think it's just quite lacklustre compared to SikTh. It's impressive by all means but I agree with Simon on the vocals it hasn't got the same magic and layering that SikTh had or the same frantic dynamic range.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I personally feel it misses Dan Weller's more catchy attention to pop sensibility/big tune/melody (sorry Pin). I always thought that Pin and Dan's interplay was a key aspect to Sikth which neither have got close to replicating in their individual solo efforts. Pin for me was always the crazy technical one and Dan brought it together as a more 'catchy' song. It really is a shame they decided not to work with each other any more.

Trippled said:
I still think nothing scratches this in the tech metal scene.
I can't credit this statement. There is so much bubbling away in the UK scene alone for this to be considered quite bizarre. Go and listen to Chimpspanner's 'At Dream's Edge' and maybe at least 10 other things and come to perhaps a less fanboy point of view? ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not listenninmg to anything from a fanboy point of view, and I dont know the bands you mentioned.

I got to listen to stuff like fellsilent, born of osiris, and alot of other bands on the scene that werent that good at all.

I like the sikth stuff better myself, but this is only one song, I wouldnt say every sikth song beats this.

I just said that from the sikth era nothing came close till these guys came in, imho of course.

I'll try the bands you listed though.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Without getting stuck in a genre-bitchfest, if your throwing Born of Osiris in there as technical metal then what about The Boy Will Drown? Probably one of the best technical bands to come out of the UK since Sikth.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I'm not listenninmg to anything from a fanboy point of view, and I dont know the bands you mentioned. I got to listen to stuff like fellsilent, born of osiris, and alot of other bands on the scene that werent that good at all.
I guess the point I was making to an extent was that it sounded like you were making a very defining statement but based on what you said above you might not have heard enough to take that stance.

I can't say I'm a fan of either Fell Silent or Born of Osiris and I'm also not going to get into any genre bitchfests but recommend you have a listen to some of the following (I'm not a fan of all of this tbh):

Tesseract (Acle from Fell Silents band - much better)
The Safety Fire (won't say a lot personally - have a vested interest in them)
Monuments (Browne from Fell Silents new project)
Cyclamen (not a fan personally but falls under the unsigned UK tech thing)
HAARP (has Dan Ford from Sikth on drums)
Within the Void (Pin's other band who might release something at some point in time - nothing there at the moment but worth watching - also includes Jamie Hunt ex Biomechanical and Thomas Lang)
US - more established -
Animals as Leaders
Scale The Summit
Between The Buried and Me (gone right off them after The Great Misdirect but definitely tech nonetheless)

and I won't go on too further as I'm already getting too obvious.

If it's not just tech and prog moreover that's your thing I would also mention No Made Sense. Definitely have a listen to Chimpspanner. I think what Paul is doing is very interesting.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess the point I was making to an extent was that it sounded like you were making a very defining statement but based on what you said above you might not have heard enough to take that stance.

I can't say I'm a fan of either Fell Silent or Born of Osiris and I'm also not going to get into any genre bitchfests but recommend you have a listen to some of the following (I'm not a fan of all of this tbh):

Tesseract (Acle from Fell Silents band - much better)
The Safety Fire (won't say a lot personally - have a vested interest in them)
Monuments (Browne from Fell Silents new project)
Cyclamen (not a fan personally but falls under the unsigned UK tech thing)
HAARP (has Dan Ford from Sikth on drums)
Within the Void (Pin's other band who might release something at some point in time - nothing there at the moment but worth watching - also includes Jamie Hunt ex Biomechanical and Thomas Lang)
US - more established -
Animals as Leaders
Scale The Summit
Between The Buried and Me (gone right off them after The Great Misdirect but definitely tech nonetheless)

and I won't go on too further as I'm already getting too obvious.

If it's not just tech and prog moreover that's your thing I would also mention No Made Sense. Definitely have a listen to Chimpspanner. I think what Paul is doing is very interesting.
So from the above I can tell that I think that thswse bands:

BTBAM.
Scale the summit.
Animals as leaders.
Tesseract.
No Made Sense.

Never impressed me the way sikth did, not to say they're bad,
but the uniqueness of sikth is something that is hard to come by,
and I alkso like this combo of very melodic music\alot of technical elements
and a very specific approach to tapping\groove.

It was very intense, very technical, but still very musical, everything was done in a certain balance, every riff was pushing the song forward, there never any moments in sikth songs that I'm saying "they should have done xxx", every song was written very wisely,
and the ideas and sytle that mikee and justin had is something that never existed that way before.

Nothing compares to them imho, really.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts