Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going over my collection (what there is of it) and noticed that the guitars I play the most are all pretty much the same; 24.5-24.75 scale, TOM or wraparound bridge, 2 Humbuckers. I've got a Strat, a Tele and a Rhoads V with a Floyd that I only really use if I absolutely have to to get the right sound - I just don't seem to "gel" with them, so I leave them alone.

So, what about you? Lots of similar guitars, lots of different styles, or a mix of both?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
When I played live more, I had duplicates of everything. Now I still have all of those, but I am addings some other flavors to the collection.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
"shorter scales"
-24.5" HH mahogany/maple, wraparound, set mahogany/rosewood neck
-24.75" HH mahogany, wraparound, bolt-on maple/maple neck
-24.75" HH mahogany/maple, 2-point trem, bolt on maple/rosewood neck

25.5-scales
-SSS, swamp ash, 2-point trem, bolt-on maple/rosewood neck
-HS, basswood, hardtail, bolt-on maple/maple neck
-HS, poplar, 6-screw trem, bolt-on maple/maple neck
-HH, mahogany, TOM, mahogany/ebony neckthru

Really, the main "flavor" I'm missing these days is a Tele.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I've got a wide variety of axes:

--25.5" neckthru Soloists w/Floyds
--25.5" bolt-on Dinky
--two Strats, one of which has a built-in Roland GK pickup
--Heritage Les Paul
--24.75" Heritage small-bodied semi-hollow
--24.75" Strat w/2 hums
--24.75" setneck Charvel Soloist-style
--electric 12-string
--Telecaster
--25.5" Soloists w/TOM bridges
--7-string superstrat

Since all I do is recording, I like to have a wide variety of guitars to choose from, based both on different sounds and different feels, not to mention for different tunings.

The only major guitars I'm lacking at the moment are an SG and a jazz box. I've never really gotten along with SGs even though I love their tone, and my Heritage Millennium semi-hollow has a specially made body that allows it to do the neck-pickup jazz box sound very well.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've got a wide variety of axes:

--25.5" neckthru Soloists w/Floyds
--25.5" bolt-on Dinky
--two Strats, one of which has a built-in Roland GK pickup
--Heritage Les Paul
--24.75" Heritage small-bodied semi-hollow
--24.75" Strat w/2 hums
--24.75" setneck Charvel Soloist-style
--electric 12-string
--Telecaster
--25.5" Soloists w/TOM bridges
--7-string superstrat

Since all I do is recording, I like to have a wide variety of guitars to choose from, based both on different sounds and different feels, not to mention for different tunings.

The only major guitars I'm lacking at the moment are an SG and a jazz box. I've never really gotten along with SGs even though I love their tone, and my Heritage Millennium semi-hollow has a specially made body that allows it to do the neck-pickup jazz box sound very well.
Yeah you are going do have to list all these dude, with pictures.

You still have Soloists with TOM bridges? And a Dinky?

The 12 string is that Carvin that had the hideous sticker, right?

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
-24.75, mahogany/maple cap, mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard, H/H, set neck (It's a Les Paul, motherfuckers!)
-24.75, mahogany, mahogany neck with ebony fretboard, H/H, set neck singlecut
-25.5, basswood, maple neck rosewood fretboard, HSH, floyd rose dinky
-25.5, maple(plywood?), all maple neck, HSS, bolt-on strat

Pretty varied here. The only thing I really feel I'm missing is an SG, because I love how they sound, feel, and play, so I may be trying to get one. They all sound different though.

The Les Paul just sounds fat as fuck. My EC-1000 is a good guitar but I'd trade it for the aforementioned SG in a second. I've played it for a long time and just feel like Ive moved on. My JDR-94 is really fun to play, but I haven't been able to find a pickup I like for it yet. And my maple neck strat is 80s. Pure 80s. Punchy and low slung and enjoyable.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
You still have Soloists with TOM bridges? And a Dinky?

The 12 string is that Carvin that had the hideous sticker, right?
I have two TOM Soloists--that hideous slime green SLXT (currently without electronics) and the white SLS3.

And yes, that Carvin is the 12-string. The "hippie peace bird" sticker is so horrible that I couldn't possibly remove it. :lol:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I used to have 8 or 9 different ones. Now I'm down to 3 mains. Basswood h/s/h rg 6er, basswood hh jp100 and a strat. I am in need of a fixed bridge though

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I pretty much do the same thing, so most of my guitars are really treading over the same ground. Just different woods and different scales. Mostly the same pickups and hardware.

·
Serial Killer
28 Posts
I pretty much stick to all the same:
Ibanez prestige 1420fm
yeah thats the only one I have, I had to sell the others, but I like floyds, or TOM, high output pickups, basically all metal guitars!

4,429 Posts
I have one electric guitar right now as I cleaned out most of my collection before going to college and then sold two guitars to buy my current one.

Prior to that though pretty much all my instruments were 25.5, hum buckers, maple necks, with either basswood or mahogany/maple bodies.

Though now I'm into getting more of a variety of tones so as I build the collection up again I imagine it'll be a lot more varied.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mostly the same.

HSH or HH with coil splitting, all floating bridges, all at least vaguely superstrat shapes.

But I like to have different brands, woods, finishes, etc. to keep things interesting. I can't go without some form of coil splitting or single coils on a guitar and the closest thing I ever get to a fixed bridge is a locked Tremol-No.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I have two TOM Soloists--that hideous slime green SLXT (currently without electronics) and the white SLS3.

And yes, that Carvin is the 12-string. The "hippie peace bird" sticker is so horrible that I couldn't possibly remove it. :lol:
Oh... I meant *real* Soloists...

:lol:

We need another picture of the Carvin Chris. Post up!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I think I win this thread for sameness.

I have 5 strats and 5 teles :lol:

Strats are:
Charvel San Dimas HxH
Fender Proto Thinline Strat HxH
Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/added Floyd HSS
Fender Mexi Standard Strat HSH
Fender Offset Strat HxH

Teles are:
Fender Baritone Tele HSS
Fender Roadworn Tele SSS
Fender Cabronita Thinline Tele HxH
Squier Standard Tele SxS
Self made Tele Thinline HxS

Aditionally I have an RG7 HSH and an assortment of acoustics :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I had more variety but have sold things and the herd is similar again.

Prs with coil tap,
25" scale singlecut wit PAFs,
MIM strat with a swamp ash body,
LTD MH1000 w/ EMG's

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I go out of my way to have as little duplication as possible. I still need a nice jazz box or semi-hollow, and a nylon string.

My sevens:
Squier Strat VII - Alder body, maple/rosewood neck (bolt-on), trem, HSS
Agile T7 Texan - Ash body, maple/maple neck (bolt-on), hardtail, S-S
Danelectro MOD7 - Hollow plywood/masonite body, maple/rosewood neck (bolt-on), hardtail, HSS (lipstick tubes)
Dean EVO 7 - Mahogany body, maple/rosewood neck (deep tenon set neck), TOM, H-H
Decibel Proto 1 - Walnut body, 27" scale, rosewood/rosewood neck (bolt on), hardtail, H-H

My sixes:
Ibanez 442R Cherry Sunburst - Alder body, maple/maple neck (bolt on), trem, HSS
1960s Silvertone Mosrite copy - ??? body, maple/rosewood neck (bolt on), TOM/Bigsby-esque, SSS
Wilson "Number One" - Walnut body, maple/rosewood neck (bolt on), Floyd, HH-

Acoustic:
Ibanez AJ307 CE - Rosewood back/sides, spruce top, mahogany/rosewood neck (set neck), Fishman pickup

Basses:
Fender Precision mongrel: Heavyasfuck ash body, maple/ebony fretless neck (bolt on), Badass II bridge, EMG P/J set with active treble/bass control
Brice Defiant 6: Mahogany body, maple/walnut neck (neck-thru), Hipshot bridge?, Stock pickups

4,429 Posts
and a nylon string.
If you ever want to build a Decibel in trade for a very high end nylon + some cash let me know. I have a very high end classical I'm trying to trade/sell to someone who'll use it more than I will. It's a fantastic guitar, I just am only interested in writing my own electric music these days. If not when I find a buyer I actually want to sell it to, I'll either be getting on your's or Dan's waitlist.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts