Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this has been discussed before, but I'm still looking for an all tube head + cab or combo that will be my one and only amp.

Been lurking and reading a lot but I'm still undecided...

I need it to be loud enough for rehearsal with a loud, hard-hiting drummer and that will still sound great at bedroom levels for practicing licks and new ideas, without annoying the neighbors too much.

I need it to be light enough and quality built so it can be moved around frequently.

I'm thinking either a small-ish head plus a 1x12 cabinet or a 1x12 combo will be the right choice. I will be fine with either option.

Versatility is a must. From 90's indie like Pavement and Dinosaur Jr. to high-gain doom-ish Fu Manchu and Pallbearer metal, post-death Tombs type-stuff, Trap Them and Converge hardcore.

Below £500 new.

Any and all thoughts welcome! Thanks.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Used Laney Ironheart can be had for under £500 all day. Not sure if you'd be able to get a cab in with that mind. They do a 60w combo Ironheart which would be worth looking into.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Blankplank, thanks for the reply!

If I had the money I would go for the Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 or the new Mark V 25. Either in head + cab or combo. No doubt.

Since I don't have the dough, I should settle for something cheap that can come close (?!). Close-ish. ahahaaha.

Something from Orange? Laney, yeah, as you recommended, is another option. Peavey?

Been reading a lot... here's what is being said about some of the "options":

Peavey 6505+ - too heavy, sucks (?) at low volumes
Egnater Tweaker 40 - not metal enough
H&K TubeMeister 18 - too expensive

What about the Jet City Amplification JCA22H? Seems like it fits the bill. Any thoughts?

Keep you ideas coming, I'm sure there are tons of other great options I'm not considering...

Thanks in advance!

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Used Laney Ironheart can be had for under £500 all day. Not sure if you'd be able to get a cab in with that mind. They do a 60w combo Ironheart which would be worth looking into.
^This.

The JCA might be a good choice, but the character of the gain on that amp is very smooth. It's not very aggressive, but good for soloing, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
the egnater or the jet city would probably work fine for metal if you stick a boost pedal in front.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
Peavey 6505+ - too heavy, sucks (?) at low volumes
Yes, these are heavy, but 100 watt valve amps tend to be (though the Peavey is heavier than most). But I'd say the 6505 is completely usable at low volumes, I use mine at home all the time at low volumes, it's all about playing with the presence knob, plus when you open them up they sound disgustingly heavy, not to mention they can be had incredibly cheap second hand. :agreed:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would rather get an amp head and a cabinet so i can just upgrade the cab wen the time comes. I would try either the peavey 6505 or laney irht60

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Specifically, the 6505+ sounds VERY good at low volumes. Some folks buy this amp for that very reason alone :agreed:

I've got one myself, and it's very easy to dial-in a super badass tone, even through my 4x12, that's easy enough on volume that it won't wake my wife.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I feel that "one and only amp" is a bad way to look at it. Most people change styles and one amp can be 90% of the way but a different amp will nail it.

Dont look at it as your one and only - look at it as your only right now. And dont skimp; wait, save, work your ass off and you'll really enjoy owning a nice piece of gear. Easier said than done, I am aware :lol:

If you want the mini mesa, get a mini mesa.

Edit: a mini mark V has the cab clone so headphone practice/computer may be a good idea. Also if you put 500 down and can afford to finance the rest, there is that option.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ironheart is a good option. Another one to look at is the peavey JSX combo. It has independent channel volume controls so you can drive your tubes but it also has a master volume control. They sound great for low volume and are pretty versatile.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If I had the money I would go for the Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25 or the new Mark V 25. Either in head + cab or combo. No doubt.

Since I don't have the dough, I should settle for something cheap that can come close (?!). Close-ish. ahahaaha.
I have no idea what the used market is like in Portugal, but there are some great Mesa combos that can be found used for fairly cheap in the US.

See if you can find a F-30 or F-50, DC-3 or DC-5, or a Nomad-45 or Nomad-55. The DCs are very Mark-like, the F's are a little edgier but not quite to Recto territory, and the Nomad can really cover both ranges. There are some slightly more obscure Mesas that may be worth a look too - I used to own a Rocket-44 which was a lot like a stripped down Mark, which I believe was part of the Subway Series.

I suspect any of those can be found in your budget. :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The replies in this thread are barking up the wrong tree. This dude isn't looking for a modern polished high gain tone at all. For stuff like Pallbearer (which the OP mentioned specifically), you aren't going to get that tone from a 5150. That style of music is all looser style 70s amps cranked really loud. Seriously, the entire vibe of that shit is getting as much speaker excursion as possible. The dudes in Pallbearer told me and some friends when we hotboxed my car back when they were support on the Enslaved tour that they just use whatever gnarly pawn shop heads from the 70s they can scrounge up for touring.

You seriously can't nail that vibe at low volumes, that subgenre of doom/stoner doom (Sleep, etc. etc. etc.) is exclusively reliant on cranked 70s esque amps.

You can certainly nail Trap Them style tones with the advice other people have been giving you in this thread, but that dirty doom kind of tone you mentioned isn't achievable with anything other than a cranked amp.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Orange OR15 would nail doom tones at bedroom levels, and through a big cab will keep up with a drummer. Way, way better than the Tiny Terror.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, these are heavy, but 100 watt valve amps tend to be (though the Peavey is heavier than most). But I'd say the 6505 is completely usable at low volumes, I use mine at home all the time at low volumes, it's all about playing with the presence knob, plus when you open them up they sound disgustingly heavy, not to mention they can be had incredibly cheap second hand. :agreed:
Nope.

Nope.
Well, so I have conflicting opinions on the 6505+. I'll take your word for it. Definitely something I will consider. Might be able to test one in a couple weeks. Will report on that later.

Wirelessly posted

I feel that "one and only amp" is a bad way to look at it. Most people change styles and one amp can be 90% of the way but a different amp will nail it.

Dont look at it as your one and only - look at it as your only right now. And dont skimp; wait, save, work your ass off and you'll really enjoy owning a nice piece of gear. Easier said than done, I am aware :lol:

If you want the mini mesa, get a mini mesa.

Edit: a mini mark V has the cab clone so headphone practice/computer may be a good idea. Also if you put 500 down and can afford to finance the rest, there is that option.
Man, I'm broke, totally strapped for catch. Totally out of my league for now. I won't even consider financing it. My wife would kill me!!! Maybe in a couple of years. Always wanted a Mesa...

And, yes, this will have to be my only amp, for both home use and band rehearsals... That's why it is so important to make the right, best choice possible!!! Thanks everyone for your input!

As for the used market it is really slow over here and I wouldn't ever find a cheap-ish Mesa Boogie over here. They don't really de-value over here... Really top-of-the-line expensive... Very expensive.

What else is out there I'm overlooking? I think Greg McCoy does have a point. Let's not forget versatility is what I value the most!!! Thanks everyone for posting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still think you should get an Ironheart :lol:
It has made my short-list!!! Been seeing a couple nice reviews and videos on it. Thank you for the suggestion! Will the 30W version suffice and cut it through the drums?

Actually, I have a soft spot for Laneys. My first amp was a Laney. GC-30 about twenty years ago...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

If you have speakers at head level, anything cuts through drums :lol:

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
It has made my short-list!!! Been seeing a couple nice reviews and videos on it. Thank you for the suggestion! Will the 30W version suffice and cut it through the drums?

Actually, I have a soft spot for Laneys. My first amp was a Laney. GC-30 about twenty years ago...
Should do! My 15w kept up with a drummer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts