המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
If you can play the solo he does in Planet X's "Desert Girl."

I would love to hear it.

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I could manage that one. It's been a while since I listened but I'll at least check it out.

I'm doing a list of a few to do, decided earlier on:

16 men of tain (for chordal work, 20% done)
Joint Ventures (cool almost modal solo, already 100% covered and analyzed)
5 to 10 and Zarabeth (as I have the baritone headless guitar he used to record these ones)
Countdown and Isotope to get into his head for standards (plays some crazy 1/2 whole over the Isotope turnaround)
Hard Hat and Rukukah, as my mate wants to work on those.

About 7 years ago before I put the guitar down till about 10 months ago I could do Red Alert, Looking Glass, Fred, and I can't remember what else. It's been a long road back from basically wanting to chuck myself out of a window every time I heard my own playing, and I am not at that level at the moment, but I'm getting back there bit by bit I think. I don't judge my playing now, I just do mini projects for fun and for other people. Would love to make some of my own music at some point, but I actually don't really know how. I'm kind of a craftsmen rather than an artist if that makes sense.

If people are interested I'll put updates and finished stuff in this thread, at least till I either get busy with work/another project/travelling New Zealand, or decide to pack in the guitar again! :D

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok then chaps, here's the first one. It's Joint Ventures off the Heavy Machinery album. I chose this as the first half is modal in the world's favourite key of Am, so it's easy to pinch stuff and see what he's actually doing:

If there are any questions let me know, the tab is in the video description and it's accurate with the notes and fingerings but don't read it off that as my rhythms aren't good and I didn't originally plan for other people to use it.

Next one will be 16 men of tain.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Impressive stuff mate! Love you Ibanez Seven.

How long would you usually practice Allan's Legato and etc?

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers, it's a J Custom 7 I got off Trademe (like New Zealand Ebay) and it just feels like home. I grew up with Ibanez and there's something about the necks which I just bond with. It's a great top too, just a shame the previous owner put a few dings in it, grrr!

I'll be straight up, I don't have any specific legato practice whatsoever. In the beginning I did lots of drills to build endurance and strength, as well as getting my fingers used to the patterns you can encounter, but that was about 14 years ago now. I just learn other people's lines as legato practice now. Great examples are Holdsy of course, Petrucci, and Greg Howe. If you just learn a few of their things and practice them the technique comes in a musical way instead of a 'banging up and down scales' way like a lot of legato players seem to.

With Holdsy in particular, he has 'moves' like everyone else, not licks per say but varieties on certain hand movement themes. If you learn a few of his things you can learn new ones pretty fast. When I was learning this tune I practiced it about 20 mins a day for a month or so, that was it I think.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Great, great playing, man! And the analysis is great, too. A lot of his stuff is so playful and can be pretty difficult to figure out, so kudos!

I've got pretty much the same guitar. The first J Custom, the RG7CT (it's got Prestige written on the headstock, but it is apparently made by the J Custom team as a demo of their guitars). Awesome, awesome guitar. I just wish it had the bound fretboard and headstock like yours!

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man, I checked out your Youtube channel, some nice playing on there! I saw the early J custom too, it's like the older sister of mine! They really are great instruments, I bought it just for the need of having a guitar out in New Zealand, but I'm going to keep it for sure.

Update is that I've been through 16 men of tain now and got all the keys. I need the actual voicings next which I'm poor at, although some are already in the bag. Time to improve my ear again I think!

·
Perfect Djentelman
874 Posts
Sixteen Men of Tain would be amazing.
I actually found a lesson breaking down some of the parts and I learned those years ago, but I can't seem to find it as I would love to relearn those. Some of the sickest Holdsworth licks in that song, so tasty!

Fantastic playing by the way!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Cheers, it's a J Custom 7 I got off Trademe (like New Zealand Ebay) and it just feels like home. I grew up with Ibanez and there's something about the necks which I just bond with. It's a great top too, just a shame the previous owner put a few dings in it, grrr!

I'll be straight up, I don't have any specific legato practice whatsoever. In the beginning I did lots of drills to build endurance and strength, as well as getting my fingers used to the patterns you can encounter, but that was about 14 years ago now. I just learn other people's lines as legato practice now. Great examples are Holdsy of course, Petrucci, and Greg Howe. If you just learn a few of their things and practice them the technique comes in a musical way instead of a 'banging up and down scales' way like a lot of legato players seem to.

With Holdsy in particular, he has 'moves' like everyone else, not licks per say but varieties on certain hand movement themes. If you learn a few of his things you can learn new ones pretty fast. When I was learning this tune I practiced it about 20 mins a day for a month or so, that was it I think.
Cheers mate, thanks again! :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Thanks man, I checked out your Youtube channel, some nice playing on there! I saw the early J custom too, it's like the older sister of mine! They really are great instruments, I bought it just for the need of having a guitar out in New Zealand, but I'm going to keep it for sure.
Thanks a lot, man! :metal:

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot, especially to someone who gave up playing for over 5 years because of being down on their own music and ability!

Funnily enough, one of the final nails in the coffin with my own playing when I was in my final year of my jazz degree. I was surfing the net one day and saw this young guy on Youtube absolutely nailing some really new sounding, awesome progressive metal. It was the sort of thing I actually studied jazz to be able to create, and still couldn't. I'd bought books on polyrhythm and analysed Meshuggah, learned loads by all the top metal bands around, but I thought to myself, wow there must be a zillion guys 10 years younger than me, creating awesome stuff that I can never compete with. I was already mentally shot from being a self taught guy at jazz college, competing with guys playing like Metheney, Sco, Coltrane, Parker, Mehldau etc, but that impressive young guy's playing stuck with me. A couple of years later I heard this awesome progressive metal band with some riffs that struck a chord (sic) with me, and I checked them out, and I immediately recognized the guy from Youtube as the founder member!

So, a few years later when I pick up the plank again and start doing some projects with it, it's a really nice feeling to get a compliment on my playing from the very guy who blew me away with his compositions and quality playing years ago. Cheers Misha :)

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Right, so as requested here's 16 men of tain (although pretty sure it's 0274 on the European version, there was a track naming screwup somewhere along the line)

I had the weekend as my gf is away so I put some decent time in on Saturday and had a few takes today. I picked the one where synch was the best for the fast sections even though there's a couple of mistakes in there. If it was on an album that would get sooo fixed up in post production lol!

I'll do the instructional in the coming weeks, the licks are all fine, couple of typical AH moves in there and some nice melodic stuff. I'll have to have a crack at working out the harmony underneath though as I haven't done that yet. Hopefully it will be ok. For the tone, it's less aggressive than the Heavy Machinery stuff, which I think was a Dual Rectifier, so I emulated his very mid-range and smooth sound this time.

Enjoy guys!

Oh, and any more requests? I dunno if I'll get to them right away but it will put things in my mind.

·
MG.ORG n00b
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks man, appreciated. :)

I've recorded a slow version but work is super busy at the moment (multiple projects launching this month) so I haven't been able to finish the instructional vid. Once that's done I think I'll do something off Wardenclyffe. I wanna do a cover of a tune with the actual guitar Holdsworth used to record it in the first place!

Speaking of which here's a tone test I did with Boris, my recent acquisition, the 31 fret, 36" Godzilla of a guitar that Allan used on that album.

One question, should I keep doing these with the shitty sound from my camera so it's a 'live' sound, or use the USB on my Axe II to give a more polished one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well of course better sound is always better 😃 However I like to hear the acoustic sound of the elcteic guitar. If possible can you also do a more in depth review of the Boris. This is great, how did you get it?

By the way, which tuning do you have on it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts