Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great sounding live video.

:facemelt:

I can't find an audio CD of this. This recording is the best representation of his music I've found. His studio albums are marked by what decade they were recorded in because of the recording gear etc.

I may just transfer it to disc when I get a copy of it.

Anyone have this disc?

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Holdsworth was the first guy that had shred elements in his playing that I payed attention to. Blues For Tony is a really great live album of his.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
This is the same band (and I'm assuming same tour) as on Allan's most recent release, "Blues for Tony." I believe this is the first tour that Holdsworth and Pasqua have done together since they were in the Tony Williams Lifetime band in the mid '70s.

I saw this tour when it came through the DC area, but unfortunately Pasqua couldn't make this gig, so they played it as a trio. Chad Wackerman is a great drummer, but he doesn't have that insane power and drive that Tony Williams did.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks for posting this :yesway:

I've lost track of Holdsworth's recordings in recent years, but I'll definitely pick this one up.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Don't have this DVD but have seen bits and pieces of it.
Sounds great.

Bassist is really impressive; playing that bass upside down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was hoping also to find this DVD in CD format but no joy. Then I discovered Blues for Tony and it's pretty much the same set plus an extra couple of tunes (I think). Same band n all. It's really quite something.

In a funny way I'm more attracted to Pasqua's playing than Holdsworth's on this CD and the DVD...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Haven't seen the DVD, but I know what you mean. Holdsworth always plays fiercer when he's in someone else's band...like, say, the Tony Williams Lifetime. You know Tony wasn't going to put up with any highly mannered playing in his bands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts