Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new amp. my current set up is a pod v2 and a solid state carvin 2x12 with open back and British speakers. I can't get any tone i want out of it at all. It's just too wimpy and would be better suited for blues/lighter rock.

I went to guitar center today and played just about every amp and was completely disappointed with everything i played.
6505+, duals/triples/roadsters that were out of my budget, line6 combos and heads, and even a bunch of solid state stuff like ibanez, randall, raven, berringer, etc and nothing did it for me at all. Not even close. I was ready to drop 1000 on a head and cheap out on the cab for the time being (they had a 1960a that was beat up for 200 bucks) and I couldn't bring myself to buy anything.

After hearing all the demos on youtube, I think my plan now is to ditch the amp and go for the axe-fx. But, i am no where near being able to afford $2300 for the unit + power amp + cab (as i only have a combo) at this time. It's basically 3x my budget (around 1200 bucks)

Is there something 'ALMOST' as good on the market for a more competitive price?

I really don't care about cleans or crunch or even crazy effects. I don't need 10000 presets or to sound just like the album. I just need/want serious gain that doesn't suck. I'm more interested in compressors and gates than anything relating to a chorus or reverb. Tight chug is the ultimate goal.

It's hard to demo this stuff. No one around here seems to even carry much rack gear, let alone have it out of the box and ready to plug in.

I would love to find something in the 400 ish range, score a mesa cab on CL (there's one up there now for 525) and pick up a rack case/cabling with the renaming couple hundred.

Then i still need to score a power amp and a foot switch of some kind as well..... so i'm still over budget, but way more ball park. So, a $200 unit would be even better. lol Probably non-existent.

Anyway, appreciate any leads on things to look at.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You should be able to run the AFX 4CM through the Carvin (edit: if it has a loop), and essentially use that power amp section and nothing else.

If the AFX is your end goal, you might want to try the Pod HD - a lot of the initial reviews put it pretty close with the AFX in terms of value. The AFX is a lot nicer, but the HD is $500, and (from what I hear) sounds a lot better than any of the recent Pods.

Speaking for the Roadster, you really need to get into it and spend a good amount of time with amps like that to find your sound with them. That's hard to do in a music store.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
If the AFX is your end goal, you might want to try the Pod HD - a lot of the initial reviews put it pretty close with the AFX in terms of value. The AFX is a lot nicer, but the HD is $500, and (from what I hear) sounds a lot better than any of the recent Pods.
Pretty much what I was going to say... It seems that the POD HD has come pretty close to being a decent competitor for the price point with the Axe-FX.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
You can also disable the preamp models on the fly with the HDs, which is pretty handy.

The AFX is a fucking phenomenal unit, no doubt, but it's a lot to drop on something that you haven't heard/played with. It sounds like you might just not like modeling, but again if you didn't like the 6505/Roadster, that's a tough call.

For $500, the HD will get close enough to a variety of tones to perhaps help you figure out what it is you want to try as the "final" amp. My AFX, for example, totally makes me wish I had a powerball for a second amp, but not enough to ditch my Roadster.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
$1200 isn't far from $1500, which would get you an Axe-FX Standard you could run through the power section of what you've got now. Aside from that, a POD or a GSP 1101 are decent alternatives.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
$1200 isn't far from $1500, which would get you an Axe-FX Standard you could run through the power section of what you've got now. Aside from that, a POD or a GSP 1101 are decent alternatives.
Obviously just my opinion, but the modeling in the 1101 is fucking awful.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Is it that bad? Unfortunate. For a while, everyone was touting it as the next best thing.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
And if you try the AFX and it's not for you, you can pretty much sell it for very close to what you bought it for.

·
HOLY DIVE-AH!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
id go with the engl 530e preamp man. 400 bones or so, and it kicks asses
read this review on MF and it basically told me this is not what i want.

Now the stuff I didn't know about- The lead channel: I've heard and played other ENGL amps and loved the high gain/distortion channels for their articulation through the distortion and overall tone. Although this preamp delivers on the articulation side, it is voiced much different. When it says lead on this one, it means it - there is not very much low-end voicing. It does pronounce the low end more at higher volumes, but if you want to play at a lower volume it's just not there. It is very mid-range focused and sounds great for rock, but if you want that thundering CHUG CHUG from palm muting you won't be able to get the full effect with this preamp. The types of music I play require a good bit of low end, and I wasn't able to get nearly enough of it, even with the bass knob all the way up. I was surprised by this because none of the other ENGLs I've played have been this way.
so, that's out.

I'll look more into the pods. I basically ruled them out without even looking into them based off what I already have in the v2.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
A good amount of that kind of "chug" is in fact low mids and in the power section. So if you get a good ballsy power amp (Mesa 2:90, etc.) you can get that "chug" from just about any preamp with reasonable amounts of gain.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
read this review on MF and it basically told me this is not what i want.

so, that's out.

I'll look more into the pods. I basically ruled them out without even looking into them based off what I already have in the v2.
IMHO, when looking for an amp, trust your ears, NOT what people write on the internet. That's one review out of hundreds. Have you even listened to some clips?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I can get an awesome "chug" out of my Mesa F-30, and i'm sure a lot of it has to do with the Thiele 1x12 vented speaker cabs as well.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I thought the Axe-Fx completely smoked the Pod in every "comparison" in that video.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
I went to guitar center today and played just about every amp and was completely disappointed with everything i played.
6505+, duals/triples/roadsters that were out of my budget, line6 combos and heads, and even a bunch of solid state stuff like ibanez, randall, raven, berringer, etc and nothing did it for me at all. Not even close.
I'm a little lost as to the logic at work here. You auditioned the real deal amps that all those digital modelers out there are based on and you didn't like them. If the real thing couldn't come close to what you are looking for, how could a digital approximation hope to be?

If the flagship amps from Peavy, Mesa, Randall, and Marshall couldn't deliver the goods, I just don't see how a $500 modeler could either. I would expect even the vaunted Axe-FX to be an epic fail for you given the abysmal success rate of the tube monsters you tested.

Given that you aren't looking for a whole tone library, just a very specific distortion tone, you may be better off looking for a distortion pedal that gives you what you are looking for. Maybe try something like the AMT SS-20 preamp (link below), which lets you sculpt the distortion you want.

.:: AMT Electronics - Tube Guitar Preamp Series / SS-20 ::.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Do you want tight and dry? Have you looked into Fryette?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts