Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a ton of things and cant find the solution.

its not the guitar, its not the cables and its not the amp. another guitarist came over and had the same problem.

we unplugged the air conditioner, we clicked of the dimmer switch in the basement. nothing worked.

its definitely some type of interference from my drummers house. we just can't figure out the source.

we play next to the door near the back deck. the power lines outside of his deck are a mess.

the area is all row homes with wires running every were. it could be interference from any of the other houses.

this is the noise I'm getting, but on my amp its louder and more obnoxious. mine even has this awesome feedback that creeps in[sarcasm]

when I say loud. I'm mean real loud. louder then the guitar and amp playing. its mixing with my tone and it is terrible.

now that I found a link, you can actually hear what I'm talking about. sorry for bugging you all with this problem, but its driving me nuts.

our only other solution is to rent a monthly rehearsal spot at a 24 hour studio for 400$ a month. we can lock our gear up and play all night at the studio, but we only have time to get together on once a week maybe twice.

400$ is a pretty hefty price for 4 to 6 practices a month. thanx guy's

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I had some weird directional hum coming from my rig, and it seems to have stopped once i plugged everything into a power conditioner. I don't have a super-expensive one, either. Maybe try that before you go renting a rehearsal space (which could have even worse power).

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Have you tried a different power outlet in the room/house?

If it appears on all outlets inthe house, i'd say they have some isolation issues - and the only way i could think of you can avoid it is the mentioned power conditioner.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
ninja-edit above by me above haha.

I'd say isolation issues, a Power Conditioner should really help - if you dont want to spend that much money i would in any case get a multiple outlet-strip with filter and fuse, and not plug the amp directly to the wall outlet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i can afford a power conditioner, but I wasnt sure it would work. there is a couple at different price ranges. I was told to get rid of that noise I need the furman with linear filter. the furman with linear filter is 180$.

I was hoping to spend around a hundred or less. because if it doesn't work then I'm stuck with a overpriced conditioner that I could have gotten for 50 bucks.

if it don't get rid of that buzzing then I only need it to protect my gear. the ones fo 50 or less will protect my gear.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If you can buy from a store with a good return policy, buy a cheap one first to see if it does the job. If it doesn't, return it and buy the Furman.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they make cheap furmans. they have a 30 dollar power strip, a 60 dollar power conditioner, a 80$ furman, 120$ furman.

I was told the one that will work is 180$ with a linear filter. none of the other cheaper units have a linear filter.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
damn, so bad house wiring huh? Maybe their lines aren't properly grounded or there's something in the area that's causing. Any neighbors having the same problem?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn, so bad house wiring huh? Maybe their lines aren't properly grounded or there's something in the area that's causing. Any neighbors having the same problem?
I don't know if any one else has that problem in his area. I don't know of any other musicians near us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts