Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im the guy who had the loud amp buzzing problem. I just got a noise suppressor and it helps with feedback, but the loud buzzing is still there. the buzz is as loud, if not louder then my actual playing volume.

you can hear the buzz while I'm playing. I have to throw my head on standby as I'm hitting the finishing note of a song. I'm getting it down pretty good, but this can't be good for my tube head.

will this help Furman Merit M-8LX Power Conditioner with Lights and more Power Conditioners at GuitarCenter.com.

I can't spend over 150$ on power conditioner. I don't have the money.
thanx for the help guy's

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
does it only buzz at your place? have you tested more than one outlet in your home? have you unplugged your guitar and can you still hear the buzzing when you do? is your amp grounded correctly?

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I would recommend not getting the ML series. They are pretty much glorified power strips/ surge protectors. If you want a Furman power conditioner, get the PL series because it has AC line filtering, which is what helps reduce noise and supply your amp with consistent power.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Does the amp buzz without your guitar plugged in? Could be your guitar.

If your noise supressor is an NS-2, you can use it before the amp as well as in the FX loop at the same time. Also, an NS-2 has mute functionality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it only happens at my practice spot. the bass player don't have the buzz. only me.
it started with my old solid state amp, then I got a new amp and it did the same thing.

its either bad wiring in the house or its my guitar. I have active emg's.

I'm starting to think they are not grounded correctly. I didnt try turning the amp on without the guitar plugged in.

my buddy installed my pickups a while back. it was a mess when I opened the guitar up. I tried to clean it up, but I'm no expert on installing pickups. I had to completely disconnected the neck pickup, because it started to get confusing telling what wires went were. I always played on the bridge pickup anyway. I never really used the neck pickup.

could the neck pickup sitting in limbo be the problem?
could it be the pickups are not grounded correctly?
if its bad wiring in the house will this be the answer?
Furman PL-8C Power Conditioner and more Power Conditioners at GuitarCenter.com.

does any one know of a link on how to install the zack wylde emg's?
I am changing these pickups soon, but I just don't have the money right now.

thanks for all the replies guy's. you been a great help.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Oh, I think I remember the other thread about it. Yeah, try without the guitar, then without pedals/rack equip if the buzzing continues without your guitar.

Considering your friend installed the pickups then you trying to clean up his work, I'm leaning towards that being the issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its been two different amps. both amps didnt buzz at my house. only at practice.

it could be a combination of bad wiring in the practice spot and pickups not
wired correctly.

my drummer has direct tv satellite dish. could a direct tv satilite dish be the problem?

if it is the direct tv? is there a solution?:scream:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
when i still rocked emg's i noticed that i got horrible noise interferance at one point in my house. it wasnt by a tv or any electronic devices. after a while i realized i was standing right above the air conditioner thats in the basement and when i moved from that spot, the noise dissapeared.

emgs are just super sensitive to things like that. you'll get people telling you left and right that emgs are noisy, when infact the are extremely silent, but just very prone to outside interferance

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
FYI, pretty sure active pickups don't require a ground to the bridge. The 9V serves as the potential to the circuit, so the negative of the 9V is the reference ground.

Try a different guitar, tell us what amps you are using, or try a noise gate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was using a solid state fender and the buzzing was loud and obnoxious. so I purchased the genz benz eldiablo 100 tube head and the buzzing is the exact same as it was with the fender.

both rigs are quite at my house. they only do it at my drummers house were we practice. at my house I can crank the genz benz at 7 or 8 and it is still crystal clear with no buzzing, but at practice I only turn up to 4 and the buzzing is absolutely unbearable.

I'm starting to think its the direct tv, because its a buzz thats as loud as my amp at playing volume. it sounds like a combination of radio waves and a loud obnoxious buzzing.

when I run the noise suppressor in front of the amp. it slightly has an effect on the buzz.on a scale from one to 10 it becomes a nine instead of a ten, also the volume knob does not stop the buzz when turned down.
the buzz stops only if I flick the amp on stand by.

if I run the ns2 in the loop it does absolutely nothing for the buzz, but the volume on the guitar stops it when all the way down.

thats fine when not playing, but when I'm playing the buzz mixes with my tone and is down right horrible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you are only answering half the questions the helpful people in this thread have asked though. have you turned on your amp without a guitar plugged into it?
not that I can remember. i figured since it stops when my volume is down that is like the same thing.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Definitely try that and then try a different guitar. If the guitar is the issue, learn how to use a multimeter and check for good connections in your circuit. It isn't a difficult troubleshoot, so you should be able to do it.

If you think it is direct tv that is interfering (which I kinda doubt), why not make a tin foil suit for you and your guitar :lol:

However, to test that just move your amp into a different room in your drummers place that is away from the direct tv dish. If it isn't noisy anymore, it is either the satellite signal (which I would assume is transmitted everywhere, so I am not sure how this would be affected by just his house), or bad power, which a power conditioner with AC line filtering would help.

This should be an easy troubleshoot if you cross things off one at a time in a logical fashion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts