Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
choosing an amp

Just cant decide which amp and this is for bedroom use only so my choices ate peaver 6505,marshall dsl 40c or blackstar ht-5 which is best for metal?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Bedroom only? HT-5.

Gonna jam out with others once in a while? 6505.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I grabbed a 6505+ used, $600, (you could probably find one lower. Mines red so I threw extra coin. ) and its awesome. I live with my family of 6 and it doesn't seem to bother them so long as its under 1, which is still audible, and still rips. Cleans are dependent of pickups, IMO, adding reverb tops it off. With EMGs I had pretty ugly cleans. With my JB/59, I creampie myself(its a good thing... A great thing.) I haven't played an HT5 but I also haven't heard a bad thing about them.

I always recommend the 6505 cause I'm biased, but most of us are.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
While we all love the 6505 (see above post), It will probably be WAY too much amp for you. Get an HT-5 and an Mxr badass modified OD. That's all you will ever need.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
6505/+ CAN do bedroom. It'll be on the louder side of bedroom, but it'll definitely do it. I also had the HT-5. I'd go for the 6505/+

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
if you are ever going to play with others get a 'full size' head. if not absolutley dont do it. Get one of the plethora of mini heads available now and a 1 or 2 x 12. you wont get the most out of a 6505 in your room and if you do you wont play it long as the insane volume will fatigue your ears.

·
Registered
39 Posts
look into a peavey vypyr tube 60. it also has a headphone jack for last night practicing and what not. never get anything that doesnt have at least a 12 inch speaker.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
look into a peavey vypyr tube 60. it also has a headphone jack for last night practicing and what not. never get anything that doesnt have at least a 12 inch speaker.
This is honestly the best choice here. They also have a newer one coming out or out already that is even better.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
i havent heard anything about a tube version yet, but two solid state ones.
They have tube versions, but the SS are plenty good too. Once you get past the somewhat involved control scheme, theses amps are killer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
amp decision

I got a 6505+ 1 12' combo. When I turned it on I was not that impressed then 2 weeks later, it went bad so they are sending me a replacement. Maybe it was bad all along. I do live in an apartment and cannot crank it to heat the tubes up..maybe thats why it didnt sound that great, anyway they are shipping me a new one. I'm trying to decide if its just to much for an apartment to get a good sound....so what should i do? I have thought about getting a marshall mg50 and getting a metal petal and a mxr 10 band and just trading the 6505 in, I have also considered getting a vox valvetronix. The downside to the marshall and the vox is no fx return...so I thought about trading in the 6505 for a more appropriate amp for my needs. this is just for bedroom use. I dont play out or anything, so what should i do???

·
Registered
141 Posts
What was the tone issue you had before the 6505+ went bad? I have never been a fan of the 6505+ (5150II) yet I am a big fan of the 6505 (5150) is why I ask.

·
Banned
3,696 Posts
if volume is an issue and its JUST for home use, you could try a modeller into a half decent hi-fi if you have one. will give you lots of versatillity etc and more controllable volumes - and probably sound better than any Marshall em-gee.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts