Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes. A couple weeks back my guitar player's house caught fire, and pretty much all of our equipment suffered pretty bad smoke damage, including the Dual Rectifier that I had bought from a friend a couple months back. Luckily for us, his house was covered by insurance and all of our equipment will be replaced.

Now I've played around with the idea of getting a different amp when the insurance money comes our way, and the main one that has been grabbing my attention is the Carvin V3. Unfortunately, I do not know of anyone around here who owns one to try one out (if there is someone in the Toledo area who owns one, that would be cool if you would let me do this haha) so I was wondering how good these amps are for the money, or if there was something else in high-gain territory for around $900-$1400. New or used does not matter really, just getting some ideas here. I'm going to stray away from 5150s/6505s as I like them, but I'd rather have something more Recto-esque. Exotic suggestions are welcome!

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You can, um, get a used Recto! :idea:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Ouch! Yeah, if you dig the recto, get another :yesway:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The Carvin V3 sucks, buy another Recto.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I want something a bit different is that the gearwhore in me wants to try moar gear haha. I may or may not get another variation of Recto, I just want to see where I can put my money into something that sounds really good while being different than what I'm used to. I was kinda interested in a Nomad for a different Mesa flavor. I know you had one at one point Leon, any thoughts?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Stiletto series 2 (very important that it is not a series 1). Parts of it are Recto-ish, such as the thick gain structure, but the rest is a lot closer to British designs. Think of a Laney that is bright like a Marshall, filtered through Mesa.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The reason I want something a bit different is that the gearwhore in me wants to try moar gear haha. I may or may not get another variation of Recto, I just want to see where I can put my money into something that sounds really good while being different than what I'm used to. I was kinda interested in a Nomad for a different Mesa flavor. I know you had one at one point Leon, any thoughts?
I saw a Nomad 100w head somewhere on CL. Also, come check out my TriAxis :agreed:

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^I think I saw that as well, looked pretty decent. Would I expect something more Mark-ish in flavor if I were to go that route? Also, I would indeed be down for that!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yeah, the Nomad pre is fairly tuned after the Mark's. What are you doing tomorrow night? :wub:

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Unfortunately I have to work, then one of my buddies are having a going-away party in town so I was probably going to see him off there. Are you free next week sometime?

·
ENGLErnieBallGraphTechBKP
306 Posts
You could go AXE-FX, but Chris Broderick tells me that it's a tweaker's toy, and it's not ideal out of the box. If you're a pure geek for gear and technology, go for it. If not, I swear by the Engl Invader. I honestly haven't found a better tube amp in my life. Gorgeous cleans, vintage Marshall-like tone, amazing hi gain Metal tone, great Midi functionality, to me it does it all.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You could go AXE-FX, but Chris Broderick tells me that it's a tweaker's toy, and it's not ideal out of the box. If you're a pure geek for gear and technology, go for it. If not, I swear by the Engl Invader. I honestly haven't found a better tube amp in my life. Gorgeous cleans, vintage Marshall-like tone, amazing hi gain Metal tone, great Midi functionality, to me it does it all.
I'd go Axe but its a bit expensive at the moment as I'd have to get a separate power amp and can't afford that and a cab as well.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ I was thinking that or a used Roadster perhaps, actually saw a couple on the local CL for a decent price. I'm still weighing options and it'll be a minute before I have the cash to make the purchase, just getting as much info as possible before I get shopping around.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mjolnir: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.21992/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

I should be around next week. Also, how bad is the damage to the Dual? You might be able to get it fixed up for a couple hundred :yesway:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts