Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! been outta scene for awhile.whats the best bang for the buck combo amp for thrash? speed metal? I use to play through peavey chorus,peavey bandit.crate 2x10. I will be using a Jackson soloist with Seymour duncans. should I save up for a semi/full stack with head? never owned a tube but have played through them.if recommend tube.whats best bang for buck? in order? 1-marshall 2-peavey-etc...etc..? playing will be in small room/garage.thanks!

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
EVH 5150 Combo's are amazing for what they are.

I love the Wattage control on them and they still sound great even at a super low volume. My favorite is the 2x12 version.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what about the peavey trans tube combo 2x12? just looking to put more money into a guitar and then save up for an awesome amp. or should I do vice-versa? shotty guitar with awesome humbuckers,and a good amp set-up? sorry guys! newbie trying to figure out the best set-up just to start shreddin'

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Mini heads can run cabs just the same as full size heads. Wattage is of no relevance, impedance is what you need to look at but it wont be an issue as they are all designed to power 1x12 - 4x12s

I'd get yourself a decent guitar your happy with and use the rest on the amp.

Boss katanas are probably the best in the category the transtube sits in

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My typical setup is a $1500 amp, $1000 pedalboard, and $250 guitar :lol:

Though, these days, I'm playing a couple Warmoth's I've built :)

Get the sweet amp. A small-dollar guitar can sound amazing through a great amp, but the reverse is not true (in my experience).

If you can find an old 5150, jump on it. Else, grab a 6505+ and a 2x12 closed-back cab :yesway:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My typical setup is a $1500 amp, $1000 pedalboard, and $250 guitar :lol:

Though, these days, I'm playing a couple Warmoth's I've built :)

Get the sweet amp. A small-dollar guitar can sound amazing through a great amp, but the reverse is not true (in my experience).

If you can find an old 5150, jump on it. Else, grab a 6505+ and a 2x12 closed-back cab :yesway:
gotcha! as I believe that also! I have picked up older guitars and re-wired them with good pick-ups and it sounded pretty awesome through a great amp.
what do you look for a used good thrash/speed metal guitar? whats the best wood?---neck,body,etc… I have always liked the neck thru jacksons and esp's!?

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
The PRS MT15 can be had for $400-$500 used usually. $649 new. Good combination between a 5150 and recto sound IMO, and it's got 2 6L6 power tubes and 5 preamp tubes, so it's going to sound much louder @ 15 watts than many of the higher wattage amps that use EL84s.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
gotcha! as I believe that also! I have picked up older guitars and re-wired them with good pick-ups and it sounded pretty awesome through a great amp.
what do you look for a used good thrash/speed metal guitar? whats the best wood?---neck,body,etc… I have always liked the neck thru jacksons and esp's!?
I'm all about that mahogany, but I think typical woods would be alder-ish. Mahogany is a bit too warm for thrash, but I find that that warmth plus running your amp's Treble high makes for a nice balance.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
If you get a combo over head/cab consider how much you will be carrying that thing around with you. The weight of a combo can make them very inconvenient if you start taking it to rehearsals all the time later down the line.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A hidden gem in the cabinet world is a Harley Benton 2X12 Vintage. Check out the ratings on this cabinet. I have a Mesa 4X12, and actually like the HB better than the Mesa. For the price, you cannot beat the cabinet. It costs less than the 2 Vintage 30s that it contains.

·
Registered
927 Posts
thanks guys! lotta cool stuff to think about.anyone know the difference between the peavey 5150 and the 5150 plus?
The biggest diff is that the 5150 2 has dedicated eq controls for both channels. The 5150 2 is also a little more "smoothed out" if you will while the OG 5150 is a bit more raw sounding. The 5150 2 also has one extra pre amp tube but a little less gain but trust me, there is still more than enough on tap. Both amps sound similar for the most part and would be a great choice.

FYI:

5150 = 6505

5150 2 = 6505 +

Peavey had to change the names because Eddy Van Halen left peavey and he owns the rights to the 5150 name. The newer 5150 3s are made under his own brand "EVH Amplification" which are a subsidiary of Fender. Those amps are killer as well.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
The 5150 II/6505+ has an input filter adjusted so it cuts more bass in the input stage before it gets to the gain stages and it makes it sound a bit tighter. It's similar to what people do with Mesa Mark series amps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.