Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm curious to check these out - I've been chatting with Frank Falbo a bit about the design of these, and he has me intrigued.

Don't ask me to EXPLAIN the design - I can barely operate a soldering iron. But I'm curious to hear these in action. I guess basically he challenged them to make a humbucker sound like the neck pickup of his Talman tele.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
using a single guitar that the amps are optimized for, then putting any old guitar after (likely without resetting the amps for it)is not a very good shootout.

also, the guitar/pickups he's promoting is noticeably louder in each case which makes your brain like it more regardless.

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
using a single guitar that the amps are optimized for, then putting any old guitar after (likely without resetting the amps for it)is not a very good shootout.

also, the guitar/pickups he's promoting is noticeably louder in each case which makes your brain like it more regardless.
Yeah this demo is kinda strange. It would be nice to see a demo of all the different fishmans in the same guitar with the same set up.

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
i liked the fishmans the least for leads with gain

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I more so enjoy this video just to see how he plays all these "crazy" parts on guitar.

Yeah. The guitars will make quite a difference in sound. No doubt those Fishmans sound great. At least the clean tones do.

But a lot of guys don't desire his tone that he goes for honestly... So it may not be the most appealing to players on here.

·
Banned
835 Posts
The demo was useful enough. It shows Fishmans have all the usual characteristics of actives, except a livelier mid range.

No me gusta.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts

this is my problem with pickup demos. how do you do a fair and unbiased demo? use the same setting for both? but that gives an advantage to the pickup used to dial in the tone. Do you dial in a different tone for each? potentially EQ'ing out ones weaknesses? Aside from providing the original DIs to reamp yourself i cant think of a way to do this. Thats why i find pickup demos on the whole pointless.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
When did fishman become a player in the pickup market? I gotta get out more.....

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
this is my problem with pickup demos. how do you do a fair and unbiased demo? use the same setting for both? but that gives an advantage to the pickup used to dial in the tone. Do you dial in a different tone for each? potentially EQ'ing out ones weaknesses? Aside from providing the original DIs to reamp yourself i cant think of a way to do this. Thats why i find pickup demos on the whole pointless.
Tough to say for sure - my usual approach is keep the amp settings identical, and assume that as long as the pickups arent radically different in voicing and output, you're at least giving a good indication of the ways they differ - that way, if you know the sound of one pickup in your own rig, you can at least extrapolate to get a sense how the other would sound.

Judging pickup comparisons by how much you like the recorded tone alone doesn't work. WAY too many factors in play, from the player to the guitar to the amp to the settings to mic placement to mixing etc.

Since they hired a bunch of YouTube guys to make demos of them.
Frank Falbo was involved in the development of these - they're kind of the flavor of the month right now, but Frank has some pretty interesting stuff under his belt (look at the love the P-Rails gets around here) so I'm curious about these.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts