1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It'll cost Americans big time in taxes, but I think the rewards will be greater. Both on a scientific level, and a national one.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
If we want to land on the moon as a chest-thumping photo op, then forget it. I'm in support of developing it as a forward base for launching maned missions deeper into the solar system.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
the problem with the space race is this: what if the states get there before china and decide not to share. Not NASA of course but say whatever gov is in power says "get off our moon". then what? possibility of a war on earth for the moon. I don't understand why civilised countries like china, japan, russia don't pool resources and get there faster and fucking go crazy up in space.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
the problem with the space race is this: what if the states get there before china and decide not to share. Not NASA of course but say whatever gov is in power says "get off our moon". then what? possibility of a war on earth for the moon. I don't understand why civilised countries like china, japan, russia don't pool resources and get there faster and fucking go crazy up in space.
Unfortunately, you have highlighted why we are not further along than we are. As a species, we're more interested in killing each other over petty squabbles than advancing our civilization and unlocking new scientific knowledge and advancement. The US alone could probably pay for the planet's health care with the amount we spend on the defense budget every year. Imagine what we could do if we were more concerned with colonizing Mars than blowing up buildings. Imagine what would happen if crazy extremists, who craft ingenious devices to stick on cars and blow people (or themselves) up, were given an education and a place to work towards a truly noble goal.

Instead, what you said will most likely happen. We'll simply use new discoveries as the excuse to continue the same old conflicts. :noway:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If we want to land on the moon as a chest-thumping photo op, then forget it. I'm in support of developing it as a forward base for launching maned missions deeper into the solar system.
That's what I want as well. We need to look beyond our own moon and get to Mars and beyond. We went to the moon 40 years and it's silly we didn't build on that progress back then.

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
If we bungle this one again and lock up all of the spacecraft specifications for 'security' reasons, I'm going to be pissed.

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts