Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was in the DT video's related vids. How to basically take one simple riff and make it kick ass for 5 minutes.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:scratch:

I mean, kudos to the guy for doing what he likes, but I find it an odd comparison to think that the beastly tapping/shredding monster bassist in the Scarified video is this dude. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Marco is the man. His drum solo spot on the Necrophagist tour was insane.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
He's apparently in the process of recording an album with Guthrie Govan and some other right now.
I'm fairly certain I don't want to listen to that, since the resulting instrument bonfire might take out my house. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Marco and Paul really were such a great fit. Both have that same enthusiasm but musically, they both strike me as the same style player. Not the fastest or the most technical, but they have an ear for 'flare' in the right places to catch your attention and a degree of prowess that allows them pull it off.

As an aside, I got a chance to talk to Muhammed from Necrophagist just after Marco left. According to him, it was a mutual split because they were working on the new album and it had more 'brutal blast' type stuff and quick double kick work on it; and it wasn't really his forte. More specifically, he said there was a song with 16th notes at 240bpm that he just couldn't do. There's a good chance it was just 'sour grapes' though. :shrug:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marco and Paul really were such a great fit. Both have that same enthusiasm but musically, they both strike me as the same style player. Not the fastest or the most technical, but they have an ear for 'flare' in the right places to catch your attention and a degree of prowess that allows them pull it off.

As an aside, I got a chance to talk to Muhammed from Necrophagist just after Marco left. According to him, it was a mutual split because they were working on the new album and it had more 'brutal blast' type stuff and quick double kick work on it; and it wasn't really his forte. More specifically, he said there was a song with 16th notes at 240bpm that he just couldn't do. There's a good chance it was just 'sour grapes' though. :shrug:
Yeah, that sounds like sour grapes. If your drummer's in your band, and you're a relatively obscure (in most circles) band like Necrophagist, you don't kick the guy out because there's one passage that has to be that fast that he can't play. It's not like anyone would have given a shit if they played it at 220bpm instead.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Marco's instructional video is amazing. It shows him playing Buddy Rich-style with a big band, creating songs along with his own guitar parts, and doing amazing exercises on left/right independence. One thing that blew me away was a bit where he kept the beat with his left arm and leg while simultaneously soloing with his right arm and leg. :eek:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like sour grapes. If your drummer's in your band, and you're a relatively obscure (in most circles) band like Necrophagist, you don't kick the guy out because there's one passage that has to be that fast that he can't play. It's not like anyone would have given a shit if they played it at 220bpm instead.
Not to mention that when I saw Necrophagist with Mark, playing the material was so effortless that he was adding extra stuff to the songs. I think it comes down to a) Muhammed probably didn't like him embellishing on the recorded parts, and/or b) he Muhammed couldn't continue to afford him.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not to mention that when I saw Necrophagist with Mark, playing the material was so effortless that he was adding extra stuff to the songs. I think it comes down to a) Muhammed probably didn't like him embellishing on the recorded parts, and/or b) he Muhammed couldn't continue to afford him.
That was my take as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts