Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG01B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So I have the Droid. We have now gotten a couple Droid Incredibles at work, and now a Droid X. My wife just got a Samsung Galaxy S.

They're all different, and not in a good way. The Windows comparison is due to the shit bloatware these phones are coming with, and they're not always easy to get rid of. The Galaxy S in particular is ridiculously loaded.

The Linux comparison because out of 4 different phones, every single one has a different interface.

These phones need the ability to go back to a plain jane Android install, because honestly Sense, Blur, and whatever the fuck is on the Galaxy all suck.

Despite that, they're all nice phones, particuarly the Galaxy, who's screen is beautiful. My wife has ditched her ipod touch and just uses her Galaxy with Doubletwist. It's really damn fast too; all 3 of the newer phones slay my Droid, despite my Droid having Froyo 2.2.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
That's always been my issue with the whole open-source movement. Sure, a lot of the software is powerful and innovative, but it's a clusterfuck when it comes to a consistent user experience.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
This was kinda the whole point of android when it was introduced though.

If you don't like all the custom firmwares, then tell everyone to get a Nexus One. :)

It does kinda suck that the manufacturers are not giving the option to go back to stock Android, but I can't really blame them considering the time it takes to design their firmware in the first place.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It is not a Linux/Windows hybrid. It is linux, pure and simple. There is no definitive "linux user experience". GNU/Linux is a set of tools and a kernel. Android is just another linux distribution, and much like Ubuntu, there are a million versions of it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was kinda the whole point of android when it was introduced though.

If you don't like all the custom firmwares, then tell everyone to get a Nexus One. :)

It does kinda suck that the manufacturers are not giving the option to go back to stock Android, but I can't really blame them considering the time it takes to design their firmware in the first place.
I would, but the N1 is gone. To my knowledge, there is no "pure" Google phone out there currently, on any carrier in the US. Hence why my wife bought the Galaxy S (which she does like quite a bit, however). The Droid is/was pure Google, but the D2 that replaces it runs MotoBlur, which is IMO ghey.

It is not a Linux/Windows hybrid. It is linux, pure and simple. There is no definitive "linux user experience". GNU/Linux is a set of tools and a kernel. Android is just another linux distribution, and much like Ubuntu, there are a million versions of it.
You miss the point, sir. When I mentioned Windows, I was referring the Android phones coming with tons of bloatware bullshit from the OEM's, much of which is difficult to take off. For example, my wife's phone came with at least 5 different apps that you cannot take off via application control, and all are inferior to free stuff available in the Market. Useless crap.

And I never said there was a "definitive" user experience for Linux. However there is for Google, as defined by the Nexus One and first Motorola Droid. It's called a "Google Experience" phone.

And btw, Ubuntu as distributed by Canonical in default form in GNOME is the definitive Linux experience. Well......in my opinion. :D

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Sense can now be turned off. That's the way I imagine android is going to be going, have different interfaces optional. I think 3.0 will also eliminate a lot of the custom UI's. Even 2.2 does a lot to eliminate that, 2.2 is really nice.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sense can now be turned off. That's the way I imagine android is going to be going, have different interfaces optional. I think 3.0 will also eliminate a lot of the custom UI's. Even 2.2 does a lot to eliminate that, 2.2 is really nice.
I agree, 2.2 is quite nice. And:

1. It would be wonderful if you could turn off these shit custom UI's in favor of "vanilla" Android, and
2. It would be wonderful if you could easily remove the shit bloatware that's starting to come on these phones.

Those two things, and Android's damn near perfect, except the cut and paste. Even the keyboard on these newer models is far more usable than my Droid is/was.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I would, but the N1 is gone. To my knowledge, there is no "pure" Google phone out there currently, on any carrier in the US. Hence why my wife bought the Galaxy S (which she does like quite a bit, however). The Droid is/was pure Google, but the D2 that replaces it runs MotoBlur, which is IMO ghey.

You miss the point, sir. When I mentioned Windows, I was referring the Android phones coming with tons of bloatware bullshit from the OEM's, much of which is difficult to take off. For example, my wife's phone came with at least 5 different apps that you cannot take off via application control, and all are inferior to free stuff available in the Market. Useless crap.

And I never said there was a "definitive" user experience for Linux. However there is for Google, as defined by the Nexus One and first Motorola Droid. It's called a "Google Experience" phone.

And btw, Ubuntu as distributed by Canonical in default form in GNOME is the definitive Linux experience. Well......in my opinion. :D
The great thing about android phones is that, if you wish, you can root them and install custom firmware. By rooting your phone you can also remove the bloatware. You have choices, which is terrific. I agree with you that the "Google Experience" is the best configuration for android, and I will probably always consider that when buying an android product.

I do see your point, but I don't see the major issue. I would just choose not to buy a phone with a bunch of garbage.

I also agree that Ubuntu has the best linux experience out there. :)

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts

1. It would be wonderful if you could turn off these shit custom UI's in favor of "vanilla" Android, and
2. It would be wonderful if you could easily remove the shit bloatware that's starting to come on these phones.

Those two things, and Android's damn near perfect, except the cut and paste. Even the keyboard on these newer models is far more usable than my Droid is/was.
I haven't had a problem with cut and paste on my Droid, but I keep hearing about the issue. What is it exactly?

2.2 is terrific :agreed:

And the new Droid 2's keyboard and design is quite an improvement over the first one.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG01B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Zepp88 said:

I haven't had a problem with cut and paste on my Droid, but I keep hearing about the issue. What is it exactly?

2.2 is terrific :agreed:

And the new Droid 2's keyboard and design is quite an improvement over the first one.
Compared to iOS, c&p on any Android device I've used is crap, to put it mildly. The D2's keyboard is much better. I'd love one.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree 100%. I understand the idea behind the "open source" movement, but all these different skins that manufacturers implement really don't change much or provide anything substantially new or additional to stock vanilla android. I have a Nexus One myself, and to me stock Android is perfect. Yes I did install Cyanogen over my stock Froyo 2.2, but really it hasn't given me much more in the way of usability. I like the additional tweaks, but 95% of what I would use on Cyanogen I could do on stock Android 2.2. And then because of all these customer interfaces, that causes delays in software update releases because they have to re-encode the entire system around the new platform, and from a user standpoint that sucks cause you're missing out on these new features and then once it's coded it has to be tested before being released on carrier subsidized phones, etc. While spec wise the Nexus One is now easily outshined by many phones, people still want it. Why? Because it will always be the first phone to receive any sort of updates, period. Yes you can root your phone and load customer rom's, but now you have manufacturer's trying to block that and prevent that from happening, and for the carrier's of the devices it becomes a nightmare because they cannot guarantee performance or support a device that has modified software. It has kind of turned into a shit fest and I wish that things would just become more consistent and streamlined, from both a end user perspective and on a software perspective. I love the idea of open source, and I've been tempted to try and install Linux, but if Linux fragmentation is as bad as these Android phones, one begs the question: is Apple providing a better end user experience being more consistent? :)

This is all spoken and ranted because I do tech support for T-Mobile. :lol:

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
every single one has a different interface.
I don't see this as a problem. Just nice to have choices :)

These phones need the ability to go back to a plain jane Android install
I agree on that one though! I'm not a fan of sense -_-
Not that it's a big problem for me or I would have rooted it already :p

But I guess having launcher pro running on top of sense theoretically makes the phone slower? Not that I've noticed it, but still. Should have the choice to go back to plain android. I would have done it right away if I had the choice.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
The dirty little secret about Google Android | Tech Sanity Check | TechRepublic.com

By some reports, the Open Handset Alliance is in now shambles. Members such as HTC have gone off and added lots of their own software and customizations to their Android devices without contributing any code back to the Alliance. Motorola and Samsung have begun taking the same approach. The collaborative spirit is gone - if it ever existed at all. And, Google is proving to be a poor shepherd for the wolves-in-sheep's-clothing that make up the telecoms and the handset makers in the Alliance.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't see this as a problem. Just nice to have choices :)

I agree on that one though! I'm not a fan of sense -_-
Not that it's a big problem for me or I would have rooted it already :p

But I guess having launcher pro running on top of sense theoretically makes the phone slower? Not that I've noticed it, but still. Should have the choice to go back to plain android. I would have done it right away if I had the choice.
That's the problem though, isn't it? I don't have a choice. If I buy a Droid X, I am stuck with Blur. If I buy an HTC, I am stuck with Sense. Unless I root it, I don't have a choice at all. There are no Google Experience phones currently in production.

And no, rooting it is not a satisfactory answer. Sure, for a tech-saavy user it's not a problem, however for someone like my wife who just wants to use the damn phone, but doesn't like the BS add-ons, they don't want to root it, they just want the option to remove it.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That's the problem though, isn't it? I don't have a choice. If I buy a Droid X, I am stuck with Blur. If I buy an HTC, I am stuck with Sense. Unless I root it, I don't have a choice at all. There are no Google Experience phones currently in production.

And no, rooting it is not a satisfactory answer. Sure, for a tech-saavy user it's not a problem, however for someone like my wife who just wants to use the damn phone, but doesn't like the BS add-ons, they don't want to root it, they just want the option to remove it.
Motorola has said they will be abandoning Blur, plus you can change the default launcher on the Moto phones to something other than the Blur launcher, then you aren't stuck with Blur. Changing the stock launcher is as simple as downloading a new one off the marketplace.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motorola has said they will be abandoning Blur, plus you can change the default launcher on the Moto phones to something other than the Blur launcher, then you aren't stuck with Blur. Changing the stock launcher is as simple as downloading a new one off the marketplace.
Okay, so that's one out of three, and most people don't know what a "launcher" is, or what to search for.

My point is, I can see why you guys think Android is great, however if you look at it from the viewpoint of a user, it's not quite that simple. They just get frustrated.

Can I handle rooting it, changing this, deleting that, etc.? Obviously. But users like us are the minority of the 5mil a month they're now claiming, not the majority.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
And most people doesn't own a smartphone... :p

Anyway. Even though I don't like sense, the phone is so customizable that I can pretty much still have it just the way I want it. It's annoying that it theoretically is running a bit slower because I have things running on top of sense, not that I've noticed it, but you know. That's my only problem really. I've just deactivated the stuff I don't want, but there should be an easy way to just have stock android for those who wants that.

I don't see why we don't have that choice. I mean, they don't have anything to lose having that option... do they?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Okay, so that's one out of three, and most people don't know what a "launcher" is, or what to search for.

My point is, I can see why you guys think Android is great, however if you look at it from the viewpoint of a user, it's not quite that simple. They just get frustrated.

Can I handle rooting it, changing this, deleting that, etc.? Obviously. But users like us are the minority of the 5mil a month they're now claiming, not the majority.
My mom is the epitome of a user, and she's got an HTC Droid Eris and absolutely loves it. Different strokes for different folks. She doesn't have to do(nor does she know how) all of the things I've done to my phone for it to do everything she needs and more. Also, when she got it, it only had Android 1.6 on it, and she was never effected by it. She loves Sense too.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts